Whats best, Landcruiser or Surf??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats best, Landcruiser or Surf??

Thought i might throw a spanner in the works and ask the question.

i beleive the 90 series Landcruiser is pretty much the same as the Gen 3 surf apart from the body shell obviously, but what about everything else? interior? offroad/onroad capability?

has anyone had both?

yes i am bored at work..

Cheers,

CURLY

The Surf is more handsome. The Landcruiser is an ugly step-brother..

Comment

The Colorado has discs all round, a seven seat option and is pig ugly by comparison !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Landcriuser is best, surf looks better, i'd gor for a lancriuser if i had the choice tho, my most favorit is the older model (like the Boyo's) theres a red one i see round here now and then, full front bars, lifted etc, really looks the doo da's
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

If your talking about LC's then the amazon v8 is the one to go for, a real mans truck.

Watch this space.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

price and cost of running
            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

The OP was about the pro's and cons of the 3rd gen v Colorado (No idea what number LC it was) and as far as I know there was very little difference in the running gear apart from rear discs.

The Surf looks much better and has more loadspace - off road performance ought to be very similar

PS
              I'd have the V8 Amazon too but I can't afford one let alone the fuel or insurance !

Comment

its cost and price
                if ya can aford it its better if you cant its not
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I just bought a 95 4.5ltr petrol with lpg. I was getting around 22mpg with my old 3.0ltr surf on 33s. I get about 16mpg on gas so about the same as 32mpg because gas is half the price. Insurance £355 comprehensive, about the same as my surf. I now have twice the room much more comfort and twice the power. So for me it has to be the Land Cruiser.
                  monstercreations.org.uk

Comment

My 100 Series Landcruiser is more economical than my 2.4 Surf and costs less to insure.

It's horses for course though. I still love the Surf, but I also love the Land Cruiser too.

Comment

I like the look of the 90 series, and there's loads more of them around as far as I can see, so spare parts are more readily available I'd imagine plus they did a uk model, but my 3rd gen is the mutts nuts and I would rather have it than a landcruiser.
                      Personal preference I guess!

But I do like the sound of having disc brakes on the rear. Can you use landcruiser parts and convert the Surf to discs?
                      And has anyone got picture of the landcruiser dash? Just for comparison!

Cheers,

Curly

Comment

When I thought I'd have some money to spend on the Surf I started to look into improving the brakes ...

As far as I was able to find out the rear disc swap is possible but there's the issue of the handbrake to resolve as well. It was suggested that a better way to improve the braking would be to replace the master cylinder with a larger one from an LC

There was also a thread somewhere about replacing the front calipers and discs etc with larger ones

Comment

As far as i know all the UK 90 series LC's come with a rear diff lock and are permanent 4wd. Were as 3rd gens still have the RWD option.
                          The interior is dated compared to a 3rd gen,its even got a clock with hands on it instead of digital !!! ooooooooo

Prado's are rare to find with a rear locker,but as an import,usually better condition all round than a UK model.

Engines in 3rd Gen and early Colorado are the same ( i think ). My mate at works got one and we often compare trucks.

I still like the surf better though.
                          www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

The only advantage of a Colorado is the rear discs, and lockers from the factory.

I've not seen a Colorado with the 2wd part of the Surf multi-mode 4WD system, they are all AWD/4WD only

The Surf looks far nicer, and the above can be fitted to a Surf.
                            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Colorado's aren't that ugly!

since i got mine last year,
                              side-steps gone
                              40mm OME suspension lift
                              safari snorkel
                              winch

need to get some steel to make rock sliders next
                              and some underbody protection is another mod i want to add
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by andycook; 26 July 2010, 14:05.
                              Landcruiser Colorado
                              Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
                              X