Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone know about rav4

hi,

i know this a surf forum but i thought someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

i have the opportunity to buy a cheap 1996 rav4,it has been diagnosed with a blown head gasket by a mechanic, i have only viewed the car online so far as its in another town.

if i buy it then i'll have to do as much of the work that is possible to do by myself as i can't afford a mechanic,and if the head needs to be sent for skimming etc then so be it
    i was wondering if there are any decent online resources or books you can recommend detailing the steps for replacing etc

cheers
    martin

If you have the head off its sensible to have it pressure tested and skimmed.

I wouldn't expect it to overly complicated, compared to a surfy anyway.

A quick searc found...

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/foru...p?showforum=79

http://rav4world.com/forums/index.ph...6d52e847973e67

etc..
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks for the reply, i found rav4world but it didn't really have any info although i have posted there as well, my initial search didn't turn up the toyotaownersclub though,thanks for that,it has a few thyreads regarding it

cheers
      martin

Comment

Avoid Like the Plague

Gday Martin,

My brother worked for Toyota in Australia during the 90's and allways said to me that the Rav was the lemon of the fleet and everyone I know whos had one hated them.

Just a thought

Cheers
        Matt
        Harden the Fuk Up Princess

Comment

they bounce loverly
          can take woods like a rally car if a rav 4 is not yours
          i like em they are not ya full on off roader but they are nicely done
          drift well in mud
          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by martinworswick View Post
            hi,

i know this a surf forum but i thought someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

i have the opportunity to buy a cheap 1996 rav4,it has been diagnosed with a blown head gasket by a mechanic, i have only viewed the car online so far as its in another town.

if i buy it then i'll have to do as much of the work that is possible to do by myself as i can't afford a mechanic,and if the head needs to be sent for skimming etc then so be it
            i was wondering if there are any decent online resources or books you can recommend detailing the steps for replacing etc

cheers
            martin
            I don't think they have transfer box hi low, so pretty useless of road.
            Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
              I don't think they have transfer box hi low, so pretty useless of road.
              i'm not really bothered about that as i'm after something for the missus to go to work,shopping etc and easy enough to get a child seat in and out of, not sure this is the road to go down though!

Comment

Working...
              X