No announcement yet.

@ Mark, Tony etc - Wheel bearing prob?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ Mark, Tony etc - Wheel bearing prob?

Helping out a neighbour replace his rear brakes on his Isuzu pickup. Found what feels like thin grease / thick black oil in there. Looks like it's coming from round the half shaft.

First thought was diff oil, so a seal gone and oil washing grease out of the bearing. There's no play in the bearing so probably just a seal?

Can get the seals from Milners for £3 each, and a bearing for £11 or £16 depending on what type of diff its got.

Do you agree with my diagnosis, and would you agree that as the half shaft (probably!) has to come out to do the seals, we may as well replace the bearing too?

Cheers lads!
    Attached Files
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

can any one have a go at answering this or is it only Mark or Tony can
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

etc is quite welcome too.

However, I'd prefer the voice of experience rather than postulation by people who dont know which end of a screwdriver is the end you hold

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        etc is quite welcome too.

However, I'd prefer the voice of experience rather than postulation by people who dont know which end of a screwdriver is the end you hold
        That is quite a big word you used there Andy.Could you use a more easy word for us lot down here in no mans land to understand..
        I had a chat with etc and he says he aint a clue
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

well i hold the right end of a screwdriver i think

seals sounds good to me coz they looked just like mine did when the seals went

Comment

but ya do understand i know sh1t dont ya

Comment

I'm only an etc, but can you smell the diff oil?

And yes while its apart I would do the bearing as well.
              I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Thats the same axle a Surf, so same rules apply.

Does the axle pull in and out?

If more than 1mm the bearing is duff, you are supposed to line the dustshield with grease to keep brakedust out of the seal and bearing so someone prevously could have go over excited doing it.

but it looks a little to much, seeing as its made it up to line the shoes.

I'd do the bearing and seal anyway TBH, although the bearing is hard with out a press and tool, or he might be in the Pyrenees and have the bearing go...

The seals don't normally leak till the bearing has to much play in it. So normally that points to a worn bearing.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks etc!

There is no play in the bearing at all and no in-out movement. It does smell diff oily, but some greases smell diff oily too. I was wondering if someone had gone a bit nuts with the grease if they've been in there (owner says not).

As the shaft has to come out to do the seal (he may as well do inner and outer for £3 each!) then I'll recommend he does the bearing too.

Tony, I thought it all looked very familiar! There's no markings on the diff, so I dunno whether its LSD or open (different bearings). Waiting for Milners to get back to me after giving them the VIN and the Options numbers.

Cheers!

Comment

durrrrrr,which end do i hold my screwdriver................i though they was an ammer,or a chisel at best or even a pry bar.

i concour with tony.propably some one being over excited with the grease gun.but just pull the rubber back on the wheel cylinder also just to be sure its not leaking as well.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Interesting thread - I'll be replacing my diff tomorrow and have been told to do seals at the same time. But I dont have a press and don't want to unless I have to. Least I'll know now what a dud seal looks like.
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Hehehe!! now we know who's on Apache's buddy list.

Comment

Sorry Vince, but there's not enough space to fit you all in the title bar! Anyway, I figured you'd be busy building Lexii

Comment

Working...
                          X