Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A stupid question from an idiot

Hi all

I hope you'll forgive a (probably) stupid question. I am completely new to Surf ownership (had mine for less than a month) and I have to be honest, I'm not much good with cars generally. I can drive them ok, but under the bonnet....well... :/

So here goes.

In short, my truck won't start. The ignition switches on, the electrics seem to work ok, but the engine doesn't catch. Almost sounds like a flat battery, but I'd only just parked up so it shouldn't be that.

Here's what happened:

Parked up, got out of truck. Dog leapt everywhere and may well have hit some buttons in an "I'm being left here" panic. Things she could get to - the ECT switch, the Idle Up switch and the little switch below the Idle Up switch, which I'm not sure what it is/does (and haven't found an answer in my manual or on the FAQ's...). I don't think she hit anything else.

Anyway, realised I'd parked up badly and hopped in to move it over a bit, and realised it wouldn't start. I have tried:

Setting and unsetting the alarm/immobiliser, both on the key fob and with the manual stick thingy (sorry, getting technical here!!)
    Phoned a friend (knowledgeable, will pop over and try to help later/tomorrow) who said to try moving it from P to N while turning the key (easier said than done!)
    Obviously pressing and unpressing everything the dog might have hit (I think she's deliberately sabotaged it!)

Truck is an L reg 3.0TD Auto. Not had any other problems with it, alarm has been fine (set it off twice by mistake but obvious reasons), so I think it's...er...user error :embarrassed smiley:

Yes, I'm an idiot and I should probably pop off to a "car beginners r us" forum somewhere, but I wonder if any of you knowledgeable lot might be able to shed some light on this. All help and suggestions appreciated

Thanks in advance

Update on this -

Looks like the alternator has gone, batteries are as flat as a pancake. Ordered up a new alternator, hopefully fitting it tomorrow and should be back on the road shortly.

Could I have any more bad luck? Corsa needs a new timing chain (£100's) and more work to get it through it's MOT in Sept, then I'll sell it. Truck is parked behind Corsa on a slope so can't push it out of the way to use the Corsa. So husband is now ferrying me everywhere in his rattly white van. Even that managed to get a flat tyre yesterday.

Please tell me things happen in 3's and that's it now...

Comment

Things happen in three's, that's it now (you wanted someone to say it).

Hi and welcome by the way.
      I take it then that your sure it's the alternator and not a bad battery dragging the other one down with it (if you have the twin battery system that is).
      Neal

Comment

Well at least you found out the problem. You could have asked stormforce for an alternator. He supplies used stuff...and he can't find his ar$e with both hands.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

why are you selling?

hi and welcome!
          My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
            Well at least you found out the problem. You could have asked stormforce for an alternator. He supplies used stuff...and he can't find his ar$e with both hands.
            That's what Mandy is for

Stormforce on a good day =

Stormforce on a Bad day =
            I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

Hello and welcome!

Comment

Sorry Hi and Welcome to the nuthouse (thick skin a must)
                I NEEED MUD.....and Welsh spring water!!!

Comment

Put your truck details under your name in avatar section, savers us all the guess work too.

welcome.
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Ello and welcome

peace
                    cal
                    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by evildwarf View Post
                      That's what Mandy is for

Stormforce on a good day =

Stormforce on a Bad day =
                      Who rattled your cage you old git

Hi and welcome newbie
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                        Who rattled your cage you old git

Hi and welcome newbie
                        Ha ha ha ha, looks about right to me!!

Hello & welcome!!
                        Many hours of fun are to be had on here! Enjoy!!
                        It's only kinky the first time...

Comment

Cor, you got a goodun. Had it a month and its only broken down once! Its all part of the joy of motoring. Hope you have fun

Spoggle

Comment

welcome dude
                            am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thanks all

Think it's the alternator rather than a dodgy battery - have had Knowledgeable Friend look at it, as well as husband with voltage meter, and home start recovery guy. Alternator has arrived so they're going to try to fit it tonight and hopefully I'll be back on the road. A 2nd hand one would have been useful (and prob saved me a few £££), but hindsight is wonderful

Corsa is going cos I can't afford to run 2 cars and the Surf is more practical (I have a horse so need lots of space to move things, have to get around in all weathers and also help at events where I need to get across fields). Also had loads of probs with it (don't ask, that's a whole other thread on it's own!), and lost confidence in it, so it has to go.

Hopefully it'll last another month before it breaks again, then I'll pop back on to ask me stupid questions

Off to update my truck details...if I can work out the technical side of this fourm thingy

Comment

Working...
                              X