Love the new Surf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love the new Surf

Big thanks to everyone that assisted with parts and advice recently! To all the senior members for wisdom and to TonyN for the short notice advice recently too.
    Absolutely love the evolvement of the truck. The sus lift with the new shocks and the steering setup spot on has made it feel like a completely different motor. I didn't know my tracking was out (last place must not have done it propperly) but I had a vibration at over 75mph. I thought the wheels were out of balance as I found a wheel weight stuck in the fuel tank shield. Now though there is not a single wheel shake or body vibration all the way to 100 - I'm surprised! I can actually overtake people now. Never realised tracking being out could do that?

The Desert Fox shocks are strangely quite stiff! If you press down on my wing the truck hardly moves. Going round corners is fun - You can take them just like a standard car and the truck just bounces round - quite funny! I'm not racing around by any means, whereas before one wheel used to spin up if trying to accelerate out of a turn (e.g. if someone lets you go) now the truck just pulls away - I suppose from less body roll! Rear ARB removed too!

Very much looking forward to Avalanche! Especially to meet the people who are going from here, face to face.

I pick up the rims and tyres tomorrow so will post pictures when I can.

Here's the truck after I given it a good wash. There was dirty hand prints all over from the work last weekend..
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0&id=534750544

One small problem though, on the way to Portsmouth yesterday the engine temperature needle moved off its position where it usually sits. At this time, I had 4 people in it, with air con on, and going up a hill trying to maintain little over 80mph. When I bought a new radiator from roughtrax last month I also bought a new rad cap. I didn't realise the new rad comes with a cap so I just left that one on and binned my rad and cap. I'm trying to work out why the temp moved, last time it was on my 2.4 and it was because of a weak cap. Since I have a new roughtrax one here I'll swap it over and see how it goes. But, on the way home the needle didn't move at all even at faster speeds. Air temp is a lot cooler today though. Coolant is fresh from the change last month.
    The only other thing I could think of was may be the body lift has moved the air vents in the front bumper to a worse postion for air flow?

As soon as I backed off the throttle a little the temp returned to normal which is about a mm behind (on the cold side) of the temperature stalk on the temp picture on the gauge
    Last edited by dieselboy; 11 July 2010, 15:43.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

The truck is now higher, so it's aerodynamics are worse.
    The bodylift will help get rid some transmission heat as air can now flow over it.
    Fit some bonnet vents or rearward facing scoop now and get rid of that engine bay heat.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
      The truck is now higher, so it's aerodynamics are worse.
      The bodylift will help get rid some transmission heat as air can now flow over it.
      Fit some bonnet vents or rearward facing scoop now and get rid of that engine bay heat.
      Thank you Vince. Intercooler is on the cards sometime so will fit a scoop too I did think about aerodynamics being worse.
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
      X