oil pressure gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil pressure gauge

hi guys after a little help my oil pressure gauge has stopped working not on the scale at all

i have 12v across the cable and even replaced the section that drops to sender

continuity is ok and gauge moves to 1/4 when shorted to earth any ideas guys and should i be worried

thanks in advance

No expert but i'd check the sender itself, (or replace it) bugger to get at with no body lift tho, or while your at it fit a "tee" in there and a good aftermarket gauge,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Okay, don't want to state the obvious here but it isn't mentioned in your post, have you checked the oil level on the dipstick?
      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Thanks guys yes oil levels are all as they should be and im not losing any

any ideas how much to change the sender do i need to take deep breath stupid question but is this for the engine oil or atf
        Last edited by BAV1; 10 July 2010, 09:58.

Comment

The oil pressure sensor/sender is on the R/H side of the block behind the exhaust (2.4) its a real pain to get at unless you have some sort of body lift, you can get at it through the wheel arch with the wheel off and the rubber splash shield removed, changeing it is dead easy its seeing what your doing and access thats the sod,
          it could just be the wires come off it!! a single wire connects to it,
          i'll try and sort out a pic of it but it was taken when i had all the surrounding stuff removed tho,

ok, thats it,

when i "did up" my engine i got one of these flexable oil pipes, had to fit an adaptor into the block tapping and then this into the adaptor, i then sited the flexy up on the bulkhead and fitted a tee piece for the old sender and a new gauge sender,

sorry about the size, "manage att still aint working for me"
          Last edited by POPEYE; 10 July 2010, 11:36.
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

How long did you short out the gauge? I have heard doing this without a resistor can burn out the gauge.

Nev

Comment

make sure you have oil pressure as with mine if you read my post from 2 weeks ago asking about oil pressure, then you will see i was concerned but told some read low well mine wasn't reading low it was accurate.........

mine is now going to be broken, here starts my exit from this club for the third time
              Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                make sure you have oil pressure as with mine if you read my post from 2 weeks ago asking about oil pressure, then you will see i was concerned but told some read low well mine wasn't reading low it was accurate.........

mine is now going to be broken, here starts my exit from this club for the third time
                thats bad news.!

guessing its terminal then.?

Comment

thanks guys only shorted for a couple of seconds literally long enough to read thats it i dont think anything major has failed as it drives the same as it always has

motorway etc is fine no loss in power

gunna get oil and filters done and get them to replace the senderatthe same time to see if this works

any more tests that i can do in the meantime

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by an1mal_69 View Post
                    thats bad news.!

guessing its terminal then.?
                    deffinatley terminal, run out of money after buying a brand new head and those wheels and tyres

Originally posted by BAV1 View Post
                    thanks guys only shorted for a couple of seconds literally long enough to read thats it i dont think anything major has failed as it drives the same as it always has

motorway etc is fine no loss in power

gunna get oil and filters done and get them to replace the senderatthe same time to see if this works

any more tests that i can do in the meantime

cheers

mine was running fine, until it was under pressure, (under mud more like)
                    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                    X