Cal's new bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal's new bike

Some of you know my boy from laning weekends. He's just bought / built himself a better jump bike hoping to emulate Danny Macaskill - and is practicing like crazy. Already told him he's got to get a helmet sorted.

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Good on him, McCaskill is an excellent role model. Before he was famous though, he was regularly in 'trouble' with Mr Plod. But he kept at it and it's paid off big time.

Do you have BUPA cover for him yet?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I'm happy he's got a hobby that gets him away from the PS3 and out exercising.

He's inspired me to spruce up my 'old skool' hardtail MTB, and finish building the awesome downhilling tool I've been building for years!

Comment

its your post from the other night that's insipered me to get mine sorted, hence the thread asking for wheels

good on your lad my Matt was quite good on a spes P1 untill a scrot came along and nicked it, he then had an onza stunt bike but couldn't get on with it. then he got into motorbikes , now its cars (girly car, bright yellow mg zr)
        Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

I tried it as a young lad but gave up after too many cuts & bruises.

Like you say though "good on him" for not wanting to be sat on his arse in front of the box all day.
          If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

I've been looking at Orange Patriot DH frames on eBay...

I had a 1st gen Proflex 15 years ago, fitted with Pace CF forks. I was unbeatable downhill those days!

Yeah John, the other nice thing about Cal's biking is it keeps him from spending 24/7 with his bird!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
              Yeah John, the other nice thing about Cal's biking is it keeps him from spending 24/7 with his bird!!!
              'til the winter...
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Funny thing Andy... his girl's dad owns a bike shop. He gets his bits at trade prices

Comment

thats were my Matts going wrong at the mo, he's spending every penny and minute on his girl bl00dy teenagers
                  Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

downhill

Hi andy , since when were you any good at down hill ,must have missed it good to see calun catch you later mage.

Comment

Seem to remember you breaking two frames trying to keep up mate!

Comment

Nice jumps!

I have about loads of bikes and bits, was sponsored by Muddy Fox for downhill and Saracen for trials. I've raced all over the place but I really like to ride for fun with my mates the most.

Apache, the older Orange Patriots are quite heavy at the rear end so you'll have to match it up with some fairly hefty forks to balance it out if you want your geometry to be right whilst on the bike otherwise you'll have to ramp up the pre-load which may give you a harsh ride.

Muddy Fox - Rock 'n' Roll Custom Team Ultimate (Since upgraded with Mavic Crossmax wheels and Hope Ti 6 pot brakes and 245/203mm rotors)

Saracen - Custom Team Pro (Since upgraded with Hope trials specific brakes with 165/165mm rotors)

I've also got a Muddy Fox, Alu Laser which is setup as a single speed road bike for training but I used it for cummuting when I lived in London and did over 1500 miles in 6 months before moving to Cornwall.
                        A Rocky Mountain, Edge which I use for singletrack, off road training and commuting when I lived in Cornwall and also now that I'm back in Dorset again (when I'm not carting the family about the truck that is!).
                        The wife has a Specialized HardRock hardtail and she also has an original Pashley unicycle.

Make sure he keeps his riding up! Most of my mates have become fat and lazy and can't bearsed anymore, it really sucks! I'm lucky the wife shares most of my hobbies when it comes to riding, surfing, offroading and more .

If he goes to enough events and gets sponsored like I did he'l be able to send all his money on his bird coz he'll get bikes and clothes for free!!
                        Last edited by lord_flashart; 4 July 2010, 18:17.
                        I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

What's the spec of his bike?

(as you can probably tell I don't get to talk bike much and I think my brain just exploded all of the last post!!)

Ray.

Comment

Its a Saracen of some description. He's been fitting trick bits as he can afford. Some better forks are on the list as his budget wouldn't stretch to the ones he wanted.

I'll probably stick to the frame I've got. The Patriot is just 'of my time' so would be a bit of nostalgia. I machined all new bushes for the rear end of my full sus, and fitted new bearings in the main pivot and fitted a new air shock in place of the ratty old steel sprung one, so its kind of come back from the dead.

I also got some hydracoil Judy double crown forks in near unused condition from eBay for £20 a few weeks back! Awesome! They're really plush and no heavier than the Manitou's on my hardtail.

Comment

Fair enough, the Patriot is a solid build, a mate of mine used to race one but being a single pivot design they can be a bit springy if you don't tune them properly.

If you need bearings in future let me know, I can get them through work so would be a lot cheaper than a bike shop!

As far as budget is concerned obviously eBay is brilliant if you can get what you want at the price you can afford but checkout www.chainreactioncycles.com as when they do a sale they really do a sale!

You probably already know about them but I've been using them fo years and have never let me down.

Ray.

Comment

Working...
                              X