Odd Starting Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Starting Problems

My Surf (LN130 2.4TD J reg) has decided to start being a pain to start. I have traced this to the fuel "de-priming" when it is left to stand for several hours. The batteries had started draining due to having to turn the engine over for so long to get it started but having now re-charged them and re-priming the fuel pump manually before trying to start the truck again everything seems to start fairly easily.

There is no fuel leak that I can find anywhere so it must be an air leak somewhere that is allowing the fuel to drain back into the fuel tank. Can't see any loose connections around the fuel filter. Before I start replacing anything can anyone think of anything else that I should investigate?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Vacuum in fuel tank perhaps?

Try leaving the fuel filler cap off......

Alan
    If at first you don't succeed,
    Destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Comment

Where ya park is it uphill or slightly inclined as ya drive in/on ?
      if the answer is YES ... try reversing up to park n try it after an overnight stop, this could be signs that the fuel filter plunger is at fault.
      If ya drive's level try parking up in reverse when ya go shopping, working, etc ...
      Check ya fuel tank for pressure by listening for a hissing as the cap is released!!
      Good Luck

Jess

"Cos short cuts cost more in the long run"
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

If all fails you might be able to get away with a one way valve on the Diesel line. I know you will want to fix the air leak though - I'm just throwing this out there
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Think I might have finally found the problem.

You know how you can keep looking & looking & looking and you never see whats right in front of you?!

Well, the vacuum pipe connections that I played around with when I removed the EGR valve - know the ones? There is a T-piece in there somewhere. It's broken and therefore the vacuum pipes aren't sealed any more, hence the problem with fuel draining back into the fuel tank.

Explanation sound plausable? I'm sure I'll find out when I replace the T-piece...

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
            Think I might have finally found the problem.

You know how you can keep looking & looking & looking and you never see whats right in front of you?!

Well, the vacuum pipe connections that I played around with when I removed the EGR valve - know the ones? There is a T-piece in there somewhere. It's broken and therefore the vacuum pipes aren't sealed any more, hence the problem with fuel draining back into the fuel tank.

Explanation sound plausable? I'm sure I'll find out when I replace the T-piece...
            Errr....no. the fuel system and the vac system are seperate. Try doing what jess advises.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
              Errr....no. the fuel system and the vac system are seperate. Try doing what jess advises.
              I've tried the hints already given and they haven't born any fruit. No apparent low pressure problem in fuel tank and I park on level ground. All jubilee clips on fuel pipes appear to be tight and there is no sign of any fuel leaking out anywhere.

It's livable-with but a pain, albeit a minor one. That T-piece still needs replacing anyway...

Comment

Update to this problem - I have noticed a small amount of oily residue forming around the push button/pump so the pressure leak seems to be around the top of the fuel filter/primer head.

I'm going to have a bit of a look around to see if there are any common repairs done to this, have a look at the parts diagrams I've got to see if I can see anything useful before I decide what I'm going to try to do about it.

Like I said, it's a bit of a pain but live-able-with.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Comment

Split diaphragm in the primer head.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    Split diaphragm in the primer head.
                    Cheers matey!

I'll get a pregnancy test from Tescos later to check if there are going to be the pitter patter of baby Surfs on the way! lol

Comment

Working...
                    X