Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can egr blanks be bought anywhere?

Hi
    Would like to block egr, any body know where if poss the blanking plates can be bought, I found agood kit on fleabay for my paj i used to have but cant seem to find for gen2 3.0 surf?

I walked into a local engineering works with the templates on a bit o card, they cut two out, rough, and I driiled the holes and used my grinder to finish shaping them, cost = zero. H

Comment

It really isn't that hard to do them yourself. They don't have to look pretty given that they're buried behind loads of engine bits.

I bought a couple of bits of 5mm thick steel (about 2 inch square) from a fleabay seller.

I took the metal gaskets from either end of the EGR system and used them as templates to draw around them on steel plates. (Make sure you save the gaskets for re-assembly!)

With 5mm thick steel plate you'll really need to use an angle grinder. I tried using a saw and a dremel and neither of them were any use whatsoever!

Once you've cut out the rough shape and drilled the holes you'll need to file the edges down so there are no sharp bits.

Make sure you have spare metal left over (I made a cock up on one of the brackets but I was getting the hang of using the angle grinder by then and it only took me 5 mins to cut another blanking plate).

There should be loads of stuff on the forum if you search for it cos this subject has been done to death a wee bit over the years and I found some invaluable advice on here for it.

I found the following particularly helpful:

http://daemon4x4.org/portal/articles.php?rid=6
      http://toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/egr.htm

Note: I thought it made more sense to junk the whole EGR system rather than just blank it off as per the second link. It's the same idea and easy enough to do.
      Also, the vacuum pipes need to be set up properly as per the first link.

Good luck with junking the EGR system! It's not hard to do even if you make your own blanking plates.

Comment

Rustihnos links don't cover your engine but the principal is the same, remove pipe, reconnect the vacuum pipes you still need and cut blanking plates, I fitted mine when the head was off for repair, don't know how tricky the 3.0 is with it in place.
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
          Rustihnos links don't cover your engine but the principal is the same, remove pipe, reconnect the vacuum pipes you still need and cut blanking plates, I fitted mine when the head was off for repair, don't know how tricky the 3.0 is with it in place.
          Ooops! There goes me not looking what I'm replying to properly again!

I guess that if gaz hunts around a wee bit there will be stuff to guide him.

Comment

Great info guys
            Thanks a lot , i'll let you know about my success or not so success

Comment

Working...
            X