Cooking oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking oil?

Not to go in the truck but to actually cook chips in, whats the best? for some reason i've gone off chips, we used to use lard/brittiana dripping but they started tasting cr@p and the smell of the fat turned me over, we then tried "crisp & dry" (which is rapeseed) first lot was ok but now i can smell the stuff even when some new stuff was used, dont know WTF to try next, thinking ground nut oil? soya, corn, anyone any tips on what will make a chip taste nice (and roast spuds etc,) we use olive oil for frying but it's a bit expensive for the chip pan,
    only good thing is the old oils going in the truck!!

or perhaps all this is some kind of mental block, maybe i'm subconsiously equating chip oil with truck fuel
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Best bet is to just go to the local chippy when you fancy chips. Keeps the house from smelling of oil and it'll give trade to a local business and give some locals a job...

Comment

depends on the spud
      but i used just veg oil any veg oil with a pinch of salt in it

nut oil is quite good but its gives chips a taste its not a bad taste tho
      Last edited by JUDWAK; 28 June 2010, 10:54.
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Cook some chips in diesel, then eat a few. After that any oil will taste good.

Nev

Comment

try here with over 80 types of spud grown in the uk
          its maily down to spud
          reds are better for chips whites bake better
          http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/potato-varieties/

Comment

We just use the cheapest oil from Aldi or Lidl for the deep fryer, we crisp up the roast tatties in it too.

Chip shop chips have been coated with something (can't remember what it's called, but I saw it being done when we were refurbishing a chip shop years ago) to stop them going brown when they are cut, this gives them their 'chip shop' taste.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              We just use the cheapest oil from Aldi or Lidl for the deep fryer, we crisp up the roast tatties in it too.

Chip shop chips have been coated with something (can't remember what it's called, but I saw it being done when we were refurbishing a chip shop years ago) to stop them going brown when they are cut, this gives them their 'chip shop' taste.
              tiz mucky water if it looked light brown
              tiz what the old ones did
              its a no no now

Comment

Oven chips are not to bad these dayz

Comment

Originally posted by Mrbill View Post
                  Oven chips are not to bad these dayz
                  they are like cardboard

Comment

i know about chips
                    tiz a food i realy miss i do give in and eat them some times but i pay the price
                    chips have put me in the hospital before
                    iam told not to eat them oven or fryed
                    like ya can ever do that
                    go all my life with out eating a chip among lots of otherthings iam not supposed to eat
                    if i left it to the hospital i would live on fish rice and toast

so make chips every way ya can and enjoy em
                    i miss em tiz why i know about spuds tryed em all they all make me ill
                    same with the fat they are cooked in most make me ill too

my best way is get some good redrooster's
                    deep fry in any veg oil with a pinch of salt in the oil before it gets hot tho
                    Last edited by JUDWAK; 28 June 2010, 12:56.

Comment

Groundnut should be good. Olive smokes at relatively low temps and is too ###### expensive for it anyway.

if making from scratch rinse the chipped potatoes pat them dry then deep fry until they have coloured a bit. Take them out and leave them to cool. Then fry again until fully cooked.

Bit of a faff but makes a good chip

just discovered smoked maldon sea salt flakes from the supermarket which are Feckin amazing
                      Last edited by biosurf; 28 June 2010, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                        Not to go in the truck but to actually cook chips in, whats the best? for some reason i've gone off chips, we used to use lard/brittiana dripping but they started tasting cr@p and the smell of the fat turned me over, we then tried "crisp & dry" (which is rapeseed) first lot was ok but now i can smell the stuff even when some new stuff was used, dont know WTF to try next, thinking ground nut oil? soya, corn, anyone any tips on what will make a chip taste nice (and roast spuds etc,) we use olive oil for frying but it's a bit expensive for the chip pan,
                        only good thing is the old oils going in the truck!!

or perhaps all this is some kind of mental block, maybe i'm subconsiously equating chip oil with truck fuel
                        Seems to me to be a matter of personal taste re chips& mine is virgin oil.
                        I would say however, that for roast spuds, I've never tasted better ones than those roasted in Goose fat! Talk about make your mouth water!

Comment

Roast spuds...
                          fluff the edges up with a grater, and do them in olive oil.
                          Blanch them first tho'
                          Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Thanks for the imput, i'll try the derv Nev! oil will definatly taste better after that, (mind, tree bark would taste better after that)

i will try the pinch of salt George, sounds like you know your spud,
                            the lad suggested doing em in the oven in olive oil brushed on, thats wot he does and apparantly their real good, as ya say tho olive oil's too bl00dy dear for the fryer, might try groundnut or soya if i can find any,
                            this oils put me right off tho, i'm getting sick of boiled potatoes, mashed potatoes and new potatoes, nice but enoughs enough,
                            cheers all!
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

if your sick of the norm
                              get some dolmeo (bollanase stuff) i make mi own
                              but if you dont use that dollmeo stuff
                              cut ya spuds in to scolopps place in water

bring em to the boil
                              but while they are boiling
                              fry some corned beef (i used quorn and make it taste like beef)
                              put ya sauce in just has it gets hot pop some garlic in pinch of basil
                              once its think its done

put in into a oven proof dish not deep but its up to you

get ya hot scollops and lay the around ya sauce so they lay on top in a big fan shape all the way around

now grate some cheese of your choise i use any mild cheder
                              spinkle ya cheese over it all
                              a dash of basil bit of lemon juice
                              lob it in the oven on gas mark 4 for about 20 mins

toss up some salad
                              and boil some pasta

loverly

Comment

Working...
                              X