Another Air Con Question (Sorry!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Air Con Question (Sorry!)

Just a quick question this time! What would cause the air con to go from icy cold to barely cool in a very short space of time? I would assume if it were gas related it would gradually become less and less cold over an extended period of time.

I can hear a click when I push the air con button so I would imagine the pump is engaging. This on Laura's Galaxy BTW, not Surf related I know but this where I'll get the quickest answer!
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
    Just a quick question this time! What would cause the air con to go from icy cold to barely cool in a very short space of time? I would assume if it were gas related it would gradually become less and less cold over an extended period of time.

I can hear a click when I push the air con button so I would imagine the pump is engaging. This on Laura's Galaxy BTW, not Surf related I know but this where I'll get the quickest answer!
    It would be possible for a "big" leak to happen if a pipe cracked or something. I think KwikFit are offering guaranteed better aircon or your money back at the moment. Assuming you trust them to go anywhere near something you own...!

Comment

Have a look under the bonnet, and see if it actually engages and stays engaged, It may be engaging initially, but then as soon as the compressor runs it could cut out on low pressure due to lack of gas. Youre not completely right with the gradual theory, as long as there is enough gas to maintain a suction pressure it will run fine and cold, but as soon as the gas gets low enough to operate the LP cutout, it will stop. Im probably going to be wrong, but first thing I,d suspect would be low gas. If you can see the tiny window on the drier thing, see if its all bubbles, thats another indicator of low gas.

Bogus
      Сви можемо

Comment

This is right. A gradual loss of gas could initially keep the system running. As an aside I used mrs gwh's aircon in her KIA. Blimey them Koreans like it icy.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
          This is right. A gradual loss of gas could initially keep the system running. As an aside I used mrs gwh's aircon in her KIA. Blimey them Koreans like it icy.
          its the best thing about em init
          tinny rides not much too em
          put the air con on and ya have ice in ya tash (if ya a real man that is)
          am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

I was sceptical about having a pacific rim car George. But it's got seven full size king seats, a 12 inch gap between the first and second row of seats and drives nicely. It's got a decent 2.9 intercooled diesel lump...and it was half the price of an equivalent galaxy...what's not to like.
            Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

I was sceptical about having a pacific rim car George. But it's got seven full size king seats, a 12 inch gap between the first and second row of seats and drives nicely. It's got a decent 2.9 intercooled diesel lump...and it was half the price of an equivalent galaxy...what's not to like.
              mi dads kia rio

1.4 i think
              its a nice drive once ya peddled for a few meters
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Thanks for the info gents, especially regarding my gas theory. Kwik Fit do a full re-gas for £49.00 all in, but they only guarantee that it will be 10 degrees cooler than it was when you brought it in.

Will take it in this week and see what's what.
                'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

You can regas it yourself using the halfords top up cans and when its empty they,ll give you £10 back.

Bogus
                  Сви можемо

Comment

Check the pollen filter (if it has them)
                    Easiest way is to put the a/c on recirc, if it works OK then, but not well on fresh air, then the pollen filter is blocked.
                    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Budget are doing a re-gas for £35.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Galaxy Air con parts are right at the front behind the valance and are notorious for being damaged by Kerbing.Might be worth a check before you waste your money on a regas.
                        Some of the mobile guys put a dye in with the gas so if there is a leak it can be spotted under ultra violet light!!

Comment

I suppose there are a few "crap" ones, e.g. a SsangYong Musso, theyre also rebadged now as I think they got bought out - cannot remember which this happened on but you cannot do a standing hill start in reverse as with the handbrake on the gear stick hits the handbrake and therefore cannot select reverse!
                          Cheap to buy though
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                          X