Which one to choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which one to choose?

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am thinking of buying a Surf for general use, putting bikes/hay in the back, towing a sailing dinghy and occasional towing a horse box with one horse in it.
    Which one should I go for? My budget would seem to allow either a top notch 94 or '95 Gen 2 or a higher mileage Gen 3 - both with 3 litre diesel. Personally I would prefer a manual 'box for economy reasons but they seem pretty scarce.
    What sort of MPG in normal (ie not towing) use do people get?
    Are there any specialsts in the Exeter area?
    Sorry for the questions which I suspect have been asked many times before.
    Please help if you can.
    Mark

Hi and welcome sorry for the delay in approving your post but we have had a few problems with the forum
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

welcome dude
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Hello and welcome. Firstly if you're going to be putting hay or bikes in the back it would seem that the gen 3 would be a good idea as it has a lift up tailgate. You would have to lower the rear window then drop the tailgate on a 2nd gen but it's not really a problem, just a bit more time consuming.

As for MPG, on average you should expect to achieve between low to mid 20's if you aren't towing (although some will claim they get a lot more ).
        'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Hello.
          On my 3rd Gen I'm achieving 28-29mpg at the moment - that's doing mainly shortish journeys with a lot of hills (never really going above 45mph or getting into overdrive). On my last run back from Ireland I seemed to get 34mpg which I found surprisingly high. From what I've read in other posts the 3rd gen seems to be slightly better with fuel economy than the 2nd.
          Good luck with your choice of vehicle.

Comment

For carrying bales of hay I would have thought a 2nd gen would be more practical, the tailgate can be used as a bed extension when left open, but then I suppose you risk jail time if your rear number plate can't be seen, this is a 'nanny state' after all.
            If you're looking for economy, you're looking at the wrong vehicle to be honest.

Welcome on board by the way, enjoy your stay.

Comment

I had a 3.0 auto on 33" muds lifted 5" ect ect 18mpg

I now have a standard 3.0 manual 3rd gen, average 30mpg
              Brian

Comment

Thanks for the replies folks. Sorry to be so long getting back, but have been away for a week or so.

I am not expecting super-economy from such a large vehicle, but if 25-30ish was possible, it will be an easier 'sell' to the missus! Sounds like it is feasable on a run.

Sounds like a Gen 3 is the more 'nomal car like' in the way the tailgate operates.
                Anyone know where I can find a good one without interstellar mileage in the South West?
                Cheers,
                Mark

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
                  Thanks for the replies folks. Sorry to be so long getting back, but have been away for a week or so.

I am not expecting super-economy from such a large vehicle, but if 25-30ish was possible, it will be an easier 'sell' to the missus! Sounds like it is feasable on a run.

Sounds like a Gen 3 is the more 'nomal car like' in the way the tailgate operates.
                  Anyone know where I can find a good one without interstellar mileage in the South West?
                  Cheers,
                  Mark

try auto trader online and the magazine (as they advertise different vehicles from each other)

you could also try a look on fleabay.
                  My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

ill have a peek for you...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-S...item4aa27c06f2
                    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Originally posted by markp2 View Post
                      Personally I would prefer a manual 'box for economy reasons but they seem pretty scarce.
                      Hi

I raised this point before,and I think you may find the Auto box is more economical than the manual.My 3.0 manual sits at just under 3000 rpm at 70 mph whereas my mates 3.0 auto sits at just over 2500 rpm.Mines seems to use less fuel around town though!!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X