Fitting bumpers - what's involved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fitting bumpers - what's involved

I need to get the front bumper and rear r/h quarter bumper off my 2nd gen Surf to fit new ones.

What's involved in getting the front bumper off?

What's involved in getting one of the rear quarter ones off?

Local body shop wants 100-150 to do the job. I'm wondering if I can do it without peeing about for ages on it.

So, an easy job or one fraught with potential difficulties?

Easy, at the wheel arches there are corner bolts holding it to the wings (1 each side) and there are bumper mounts at the front holding it to the chassis (2 each side).

As long as the bolts aren't rusted then it'll be a quick job even if you have to swap the bumper mounts over and maybe take off any bull bar you have.

Thanks,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

I can see two sets of two near the centreline of the vehicle - one set holding the bull bars on, the other holding the bottom (painted) bumper, so presumbly the latter is the one I want to get the whole assembly off?

Comment

i'll email you some pics tomorrow of where the fixings are
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
          That'd be superb, Rich. You're a star. Cheers

Comment

You can do yourself a favour by spraying all the bolts with wd40 every day for a week or so.

There's 4 main nuts on the front bumper (+ the wires to each indicator and 2 nuts that are accessed from the wheel arch through the plastic liner)

Theres a hidden bolt on the rear bumper each end under the plastic trim, plus 2 each side under that bolt at the bottom. Then the 4 main bolts that hold the mounts to the body. 2 x 12mm nuts and 2 x 10mm bolts for each side piece.

Think thats them all.

Comment

could you email me the pics aswell please,

ill have them for future reference when i change my bumper then.

ta
              My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Bumper mounting points circled in red, nudge bar mounting points circled in yellow.

Dan
                https://galooph.com

Comment

Hi Richard

Could you email me a copy of there pics too please? I had a minor issue with the rear doors of a van a while back. As a result my front bumper isn't quite sitting where it should. I just need to loosen the right bolts and do some adjustments....

Thanks

Doc B

Comment

One down, one to go

Just changed the rear r/h quarter bumper. All the bolts came out easily except one that is very well hidden and joins the quarter bumper to the rear one, which sheared off at the captive nut. I Waxoyled the inside of the new bumper and fitted it (without a fastening where the bolt sheared - for now).

Tomorrow evening I'll tackle the front bumper

Comment

Working...
                    X