body lift kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
    right thats it gra.your off my xmas card list. and to be honest i really dont care if people THINK im a c#@t........i know i am.lol
    Ooooooohhhhhh.......someones tired!!!
    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      I beg to differ re the time to make a bodylift kit.

I wouldn't mind betting that the guy whos selling on eBay is 'small volume, made in the shed' type chap. On the kind of equipment he's got, you cant 'set up' for that job. Its probably a manual job with no powered feeds, no CNC etc, so I bet each kit does take at least 2 hours to make.

If he outsourced, and bought ready machined blocks in, and just put components in a box, it would cost more as he'd be pasying for the manufacturers cut. Honestly, £45 isn't very much more than materials cost.

As for the stickers, I make 'beer money' amounts because its not worth me buying vinyl in bulk. I started doing it cos 3 years ago lots of people wanted 'handle' stickers for their trucks and it was actually costing me to get the designs I was producing cut at my local sign business, so I bought a machine. Now I do just do it for the fun of it - though trade is slow these days.
      :nods:

How do you need earn an hour to make a living? You can't compare it to buying £20 of nylon and spending a sunday making one kit. I have cover tax, rent, bills etc... then add cost of materials, If i charge less than £100 (complete, lol, not just blocks and bolts, and wouldn't want to make 1/2 a kit...) to make a body lift its really not worth me getting out of bed, as much fun as it is, I'd make more money working in Tescos, spend a day making 10 or so, then you can make more money per unit, but then you have them on the shelf for a year before covering materials money because you've had to buy lots more metal to make them all at once.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

ok lets put this shit too bed now .
        1,i wasn't complaining about the price ,i think its very cheep.
        2, i wasn't complaining about the quality ,cant see anything wrong with it.
        3,i didn't mind that it was a 1 3/4 " block even if i did buy a 2" kit .
        as i have said before andy ( growler) had made me the bumper/rad brackets for a 2" kit so for that reason and nothing else i asked if he would swap the blocks for 2" .the seller sounds like a great bloke and said he would swap them and refund the p+p.so let it go im not trying to fcuk up his business or put him and his kids on the street ,if i didn't have the brackets i would have used the blocks .what more can i say.

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
          ok lets put this shit too bed now .
          1,i wasn't complaining about the price ,i think its very cheep.
          2, i wasn't complaining about the quality ,cant see anything wrong with it.
          3,i didn't mind that it was a 1 3/4 " block even if i did buy a 2" kit .
          as i have said before andy ( growler) had made me the bumper/rad brackets for a 2" kit so for that reason and nothing else i asked if he would swap the blocks for 2" .the seller sounds like a great bloke and said he would swap them and refund the p+p.so let it go im not trying to fcuk up his business or put him and his kids on the street ,if i didn't have the brackets i would have used the blocks .what more can i say.
          You can say "Aye Carumba"...
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
            You can say "Aye Carumba"...
            ok just for you graham "Aye Carumba"

Comment

LOL, I wasn't haing a go at you, I thought we were discussing pricing and hassles on making stuff for profit, from both sides of the fence so people can see all points of view.

Relax and enjoy the discussion, you started it, even if it was only about the height of the blocks, its a chat forum, threads wander and evolve.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

re: materials

Often it works out an extra tenner or something silly to buy a 20 foot length of something rather than a little 'hobbiest' cut to size piece. I always buy the bulk packs as its cheaper in the long run.

I was talking from the experience of working with a metal fabrication department that my old company bought out 5 years ago. Whenever I looked up bits to buy to make stuff it always ended up that for a few bob more I could buy lots more material.

I make tools for a living so am always setting up my equipment and know that once set up you can rattle off 20 pieces for not much more time than 1 piece - it's the setup time that costs.

Honestly can't see the point of a business running off a single body lift kit - it's a waste of their time.

Of course that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Comment

Originally posted by steve s View Post
                  ,if i didn't have the brackets i would have used the blocks .what more can i say.
                  You could learn to use a file and perform the ten minute modification to growlers brackets to enable you to use them with the 1 3/4" blocks

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                  Honestly can't see the point of a business running off a single body lift kit - it's a waste of their time....
                  I'm fairly sure thats what I said
                  Last edited by Apache; 7 June 2010, 20:17.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

You could learn to use a file and perform the ten minute modification to growlers brackets to enable you to use them with the 1 3/4" blocks

I'm fairly sure that's what I said
                    apache are you the bloke that i bought the kit from as it seems to have really upset you that i sent it back .are you out of pocket ?.if not then just let it go rather than make snotty comments like learn to use a file.you seem hell bent on starting an argument .

Comment

Evening Steve

Comment

I'm fairly sure thats what I said
                        Well you said it as if it applies to you making 1 kit in your shed. I was referring to a manufacturing business' point of view.

In reality if you did a run of 20 kits in your shed you could easily undercut a business as you have no overheads apart from your time. Don't forget that business charge £40 + per hours labour whilst paying the guy doing the actual work a tenner per hour or thereabouts.

btw you don't need cnc or powered feeds to set up a lathe to cut a piece of material into 2" sections. Get creative and knock yourself up a jig.

Comment

Get creative and knock yourself up a jig.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZBoPuD3MYQ

Comment

Oooh shiver me timbers!

Comment

Oooh shiver me timbers!
                              Hey Wishbone... I haven't forgot about that steel wheel uve got tucked away in ur garage.... Just been real busy lately!! Will get in touch soon about it!

Comment

btw you don't need cnc or powered feeds to set up a lathe to cut a piece of material into 2" sections. Get creative and knock yourself up a jig.
                                Yeah I know. What I was suggesting is I would still need to be there operating it, rather than bunging in a block, pressing a button and leaving it to its own devices while I count HT bolts into a box.

I wouldn't bother anyway cos I know a man with a power hacksaw

Nice video. Wonder if she can operate a mill?

Comment

Working...
                                X