X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stickers on the HILUX

hi all,

just some advice.
    i have finally found the right HILUX for me, problem is the graphics on the side is abit dated. i asked the dealer to take it off but would not, as he said it is very difficult to get off. as he tried before and had to painted the panels again.
    this a bit worrying for me, or he is just cant be bothered.
    either way i would like to have the graphics off. is there any ideas to get the stickers off the panels without damaging the paint work underneath?

civic

Originally posted by civic888
    hi all,

just some advice.
    i have finally found the right HILUX for me, problem is the graphics on the side is abit dated. i asked the dealer to take it off but would not, as he said it is very difficult to get off. as he tried before and had to painted the panels again.
    this a bit worrying for me, or he is just cant be bothered.
    either way i would like to have the graphics off. is there any ideas to get the stickers off the panels without damaging the paint work underneath?

civic
    you need one of these
    Attached Files
    [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
    [size=5][/size]
    [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

what is it?

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
        you need one of these
        what it says, eraser wheel for graphics removal, gets them straight off without damaging the paint
        [size=5][/size]
        [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Sorry to butt in. I thought it was an angle grinder DOH!
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Warning.

Be Warned.

Anything spining on painted surfaces or other such surfaces will create friction=heat=tearing.
            If I were you I would stick to the hair dryer as already suggested.

Rubblebags.
            Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Originally posted by rubblebags
              Be Warned.

Anything spining on painted surfaces or other such surfaces will create friction=heat=tearing.
              If I were you I would stick to the hair dryer as already suggested.

Rubblebags.
              thanks for the negative answer to something you obviously know nothing about, this tool is a special compound to take graphics off of vehicles without damaging the paint, i use them and malum took his graphics off his surf with one which i sent him, if you want to spend all day with a hairdryer then try and remove the glue thats your choice, but i'd sooner spend 30 minutes with this and remove the lot, when a sticker has been on a vehicle 10 year it takes some removing with a hairdryer, try it
              [size=5][/size]

Comment

Gemini
                sorry if your are offended by my remark.
                You are correct. I no nothing about this tool.
                As you say you and others have used it with great success.
                To the question of removing the sticker, I have already started removing the stickers from my damaged Surf and it is a pig of a job.
                But I still stand by my oppinion. If the compound polishes the sticker away then it must create heat. ie :if you put to much pressure on the pad could it not tear ?.

Rubblebags.
                Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Gemini
                  sorry if your are offended by my remark.
                  You are correct. I no nothing about this tool.
                  As you say you and others have used it with great success.
                  To the question of removing the sticker, I have already started removing the stickers from my damaged Surf and it is a pig of a job.
                  But I still stand by my oppinion. If the compound polishes the sticker away then it must create heat. ie :if you put to much pressure on the pad could it not tear ?.

Rubblebags.
                  no im not offended, but negative remarks like that stop other people going and buying one because they think they might damage the paint, this is not the case, if you tried one you'd be wondering why you had the hairdryer in your hand in the first place, when people ask how to remove stickers i always post the pic because they are the proper tool for the job and most people dont know they exist, if you want to try one your local motor factors which sell paint, body panels etc, will probably stock them if not they should be able to get you one, malum couldnt get one near him which is why i sent him one, well two actually, which i will happily do for you if needed, the pad is very soft, smells like caramel, causes no heat and no it does not tear
                  Last edited by gemini; 30 September 2003, 02:29.
                  [size=5][/size]

Comment

Apology

Gemini

In that case I retract the remark and apologise.
                    I have in the past burnt paint with purley a polishing bonnet. Mabe you can see where I'm comming from ?.

Rubblebags.
                    Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Gemini

In that case I retract the remark and apologise.
                      I have in the past burnt paint with purley a polishing bonnet. Mabe you can see where I'm comming from ?.

Rubblebags.
                      you say purely, polishing bonnets burn paint very easily, especially if its newly painted
                      [size=5][/size]

Comment

Can you feel the love in this thread?

Comment

if i knew this subject is so sensitive and cause a lolt of friction i would have thought twice. but thanks for the suggestion, i will try to look for this wheel, and get back with the result.
                          thank you guys, peace.

Comment

It made the job a breeze, but some caution is required, the graphics run right up to the plastic side strip and the wheel will leave scuffs on that if you don't use it with care.

I had removed the graphics with a pressure washer before using the wheel, this is not advised as it leaves just the glue and the wheel doesn't take this off as easily as the whole sticker but it still works.

Wear a mask!
                            [color=darkorange]
                            [font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Nick
                            1994 3L Turbo. Manual. SSR-X Limited[/size][/font]
                            [/color]

Comment

Any problems with paint fade showing up after the graphics were removed?
                              '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Working...
                              X