Son Of Beesting!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Son Of Beesting!!

So today I went over to Growlers house as he so kindly offered to assist me with the replacement of my front Discs and Pads.

Jacked the truck up and removed both wheels, started with the Drivers side, stripped it all down, cleaned everything up, fitted the new discs, all was going well, we got to this stage quite quickly, which was nice, and then it happened, we tried to push back the pistons, the outer 2 went back in no problem, the top inner needed a little more persuasion, but the bottom inner was completely seized as solid as a rock, we tried everything we could think of to make it budge, and we broke 2 G clamps in the process!! Between us we spent at least 3 hours trying to free of the piston.

So we looked at the passenger side, as was truly shocked!! the inner disc had worn down to the thickness of a piece of paper, whilst the outer was just "worn", took the pads out and they had worn down to the metal, they had actually turned a shade of blue!!! What a surprise, both inner pistons where seized SOLID!!

So we hit a major problem, a pair of new calipers where needed, however, we rang 3 breakers of the forum, none of which had a pair, BUMMER!!

So, I needed a pair of new calipers, and I needed the truck to get home in, What could I do????

Andy so very kindly, said I could have the ones of his truck, as luckily for me, it is off the road, all I had to do was order some to replace his from Milners (£20-30 cheaper than Roughtrax), we agreed on a price, and I bought his of him and we fitted them onto my truck, got the truck built up, and I had a lovely set of new front brakes!!

What should have only taken a few hours took all day!! Thank god the weather was good!!

We had some supper, tidied up and then I went home!!!

Andy has taken some pictures of my old brake discs, which Im sure he will add to this post.

Note to Albanach- Please be kind when you see the pictures!!
    Keep On Truckin!

I'm amazed they got so bad before you did anything, surely they were making horrible noises and not working very well.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

You can get them refurbed at a place in birmingham £55 each I think from memory!!

Comment

Top marks!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - thats what I love about this forum. Everybody seems so willing to help each other out of a jam. I'm so glad I bought a Surf!

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
          I'm amazed they got so bad before you did anything, surely they were making horrible noises and not working very well.
          Be gentle on him Alan

he's only had the truck 7 weeks or so, and was told that it had had new brakes all round the month before Unfortunately I don't think he checked for himself and took the sellers word for it. Don't worry he won't do it again.

Christ knows what the rears are like, after 9 odd hours sorting out the front's we ran out of time to check. Although I didn't hear any grinding noises from there

Comment

Are these really that bad ??

Comment

During and After

Richard looses his head

And then finds it again

Then he has a lie down and oil bath

All finished bar the wheels

Comment

No wonder it took all day. You were too busy taking photos! lol

Seriously though - quite frightening how bad the discs were.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                  The horrible noises started last weekend, thus prompting me to get them replaced!!

I could see they where worn through the wheel, but I was not expecting them to be that worn!!

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
                  You can get them refurbed at a place in birmingham £55 each I think from memory!!
                  New ones from Milners are £73/£83, might as well pay that little bit extra and get brandnew ones, besides, I think my old ones are seriously beyond reconditioning.

Or pinch some of another members truck----cheers andy lol!!

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                  Top marks!

I've said it before and I'll say it again - thats what I love about this forum. Everybody seems so willing to help each other out of a jam. I'm so glad I bought a Surf!
                  Yup!! I agree, Andy got me out of a major jam!!

Originally posted by Growler View Post
                  Be gentle on him Alan

he's only had the truck 7 weeks or so, and was told that it had had new brakes all round the month before Unfortunately I don't think he checked for himself and took the sellers word for it. Don't worry he won't do it again.

Christ knows what the rears are like, after 9 odd hours sorting out the front's we ran out of time to check. Although I didn't hear any grinding noises from there
                  I think it was the excitment of seeing the truck, having the money to buy the truck, and wanting the truck and nothing could persuade me otherwise!! I drove it back 150 miles home after buying it, and everything "seemed" ok!!

If Ive got time im going to check the rears on friday, if not on sunday, I just want to see whats lurking behind the drums!!

Some nice pics there Andy, thats first I have seen of them.

Richard looses his head

And then finds it again

Then he has a lie down and oil bath

All finished bar the wheels

OI CHEEKY!! Il let you have that one for free!! I suppose taking the P155 out of it all is the least i can expect!! Nice pictures though mate, not to sure who that devilishly handsome feller in the picture is though!!!

You should have been there when I first saw them!!
                  Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Jeez!! sounds like you had as good a time as Don Logan and me!!
                    that got to be the worst disc wear i ever saw, changes mine a short while back and they were practily new compaired with that one, that lieing assed dog of a seller wants shagging,
                    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

FFS!!!!!!!!

You're lucky that disc didn't break and lock your wheel up.

Even more lucky that it didn't happen whilst I was travelling towards you in the other direction with my little boy on board.

They needed replacing two years ago looking at them.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                        Jeez!! sounds like you had as good a time as Don Logan and me!!
                        that got to be the worst disc wear i ever saw, changes mine a short while back and they were practily new compaired with that one, that lieing assed dog of a seller wants shagging,

He certainly does!!

This is what he told me.......

"A policeman stopped me and advised me that Surfs get brocken into alot via the tailgate lock, they get popped with a screwdriver, so I have had it disconected"

so last weekend I thought id have a look behind the panel to reconnect what ever was disconnected, however, nothing had been disconnected or taken away, either the switch on the lock has buggered or the wire has broken from tailgate to body.

" I don't know what the idle up button is for, ive never used it"

Theres a big clue written on the switch.....I D L E U P !!

"I usually drive around with the suspension on HARD setting, as it bounces around when I have it on SOFT"

It has had aftermarket shocks fitted to it, so the HARD/SOFT setting is redundant!! the only way to adjust it is via the adjuster on each shock!!

Right before I bought it my wife said something was dodgy about the truck, of course I compleletley disagreed with her, yetserday when I got home, I told her what had happened with my brakes and all I got in return was
                        "I told you so"!!

Makes me think what else is wrong with the truck, think I might send it for an MOT or a Pre MOT test, just for piece of mind.
                        Keep On Truckin!

Comment

No wonder it took all day. You were too busy taking photos! lol

Yup I quite enjoyed sitting back and giving out the instructions

The calipers are now mounted on mine to keep the brake system sealed and the nearside piston is just touching the inner face of the disc with no pad in between scarry really to think how it got through an MOT last august like that.

Comment

was porbably done by a friend of his or something.

glad you got it sorted and hopefully this post will make people more aware to check stuff like this out.

if you see the seller again......shoot him.
                            My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

If it's not too late and you want to do the recon thing, I have a pair of calipers here you can have.
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X