coolant temperature sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant temperature sensor

hello again .could you tell me the best place to get a new coolant temperature sensor please.tried the milner site but could not find one .cheers

temp sender

Originally posted by purplebeard66 View Post
    hello again .could you tell me the best place to get a new coolant temperature sensor please.tried the milner site but could not find one .cheers
    http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=715&vid=788

Comment

Tooooo expensive!! go to a breakers and pocket one from a corolla, same fitment and cuts in slightly earlier,
      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
        Tooooo expensive!! go to a breakers and pocket one from a corolla, same fitment and cuts in slightly earlier,
        Nice tip!

Comment

go to a breakers and pocket one from a corolla, same fitment and cuts in slightly earlier,
          Huh?

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
            Huh?

Nev
            Wadiamean Huh? had one on my truck for 2-3 years, threads the same and it's a slightly (about 5deg) lower setting than the surf one,
            when i altered the wireing and opperation of my back up fans (fitted another on the front btw) i got a sender from a toyota corolla at the scrappy, my fans now cut in at about 95deg and overrun when the ign's off, prior to doing this mod the bugger never ever came on,

Comment

Wadiamean Huh? had one on my truck for 2-3 years, threads the same and it's a slightly (about 5deg) lower setting than the surf one,
              when i altered the wireing and opperation of my back up fans (fitted another on the front btw) i got a sender from a toyota corolla at the scrappy, my fans now cut in at about 95deg and overrun when the ign's off, prior to doing this mod the bugger never ever came on,
              I have to say the fact that the leccy fan never comes on, even when you're sat in traffic for ages, does worry me about the Surf.

I'll no doubt be heading to my local scrappy to do something similar in the not too distant future - especially if the summer weather comes back with a vengeance!

Already replaced the head on the truck. Could do without needing to do it again!

Comment

It used to worry me to, our old mate MattF come up with the basic idea of modding the fans, after a member in NZ (SimonO) i believe went into the subject in some depth, however he couldn't get it to work properly useing the trucks fan wireing curcuit, basicly i disconnected all wireing from the fan, and ran em via two standard relays which are switch'd via two 5 pin crossover relays, and useing the lower temp setting corolla sensor, many a time i park up after a run and the fans cut in after i've left the truck, heat accumliates around the head after the engines shut off and the fans come on, along with a second rad and third fan fitted over the back axle chassi x member it all helps to keep things a bit cooler
                made a similar set up to run the intercooler fan as well, sensor for that is a small temp switch from CPC Farnell, they are available in verious settings and cheap, £1.80 or there abouts, i still have the wireing diags if you or anyone wants em,

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                  I have to say the fact that the leccy fan never comes on, even when you're sat in traffic for ages, does worry me about the Surf.
                  Diesels run pretty cold on tickover - it's only when you boot it up a long hill with a load in the back that they start complaining

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                    Diesels run pretty cold on tickover - it's only when you boot it up a long hill with a load in the back that they start complaining
                    Even in hot bank holiday traffic?! Scares the wotsits out of me when I see how hot the turbo is chucking that lovely burnt-oil-smoke off itself from the oil leak!

I realised the head had cracked on mine when the rad hose blew apart and chucked a whole heap of steam over the windscreen last year!

Comment

Yep mine ran fine in Spain at up to 45 degrees and only started getting hot on the mountain passes.

Rob.

Comment

It used to worry me to, our old mate MattF come up with the basic idea of modding the fans, after a member in NZ (SimonO) i believe went into the subject in some depth, however he couldn't get it to work properly useing the trucks fan wireing curcuit, basicly i disconnected all wireing from the fan, and ran em via two standard relays which are switch'd via two 5 pin crossover relays, and useing the lower temp setting corolla sensor, many a time i park up after a run and the fans cut in after i've left the truck, heat accumliates around the head after the engines shut off and the fans come on, along with a second rad and third fan fitted over the back axle chassi x member it all helps to keep things a bit cooler
                        made a similar set up to run the intercooler fan as well, sensor for that is a small temp switch from CPC Farnell, they are available in verious settings and cheap, £1.80 or there abouts, i still have the wireing diags if you or anyone wants em,
                        I'd be quite interested to see your wiring diagrams actually. Paranoia over another cracked head runs through my veins!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                          I'd be quite interested to see your wiring diagrams actually. Paranoia over another cracked head runs through my veins!

Had to put it through photbucket, it's not a proper electrictians drawing but just how i wired up everything, if you only are useing the one original fan you can do away with 2 relays and the rear stuff, hope it makes sense to ya controlling the whole thing via a double pole/double throw toggle means you can turn it off (switch center position or turn it on manually, or run it through the sensor,

Comment

I mean huh because the OP asked about a "Coolant Temperature Sensor". The "Coolant Temperature Sensor" is in the block and is a Thermistor for the ECU. The one you speak of is the Thermo Fan Switch. The other one related to temperature is the Gauge Sender. All three are different so which one is he talking about?

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                              I mean huh because the OP asked about a "Coolant Temperature Sensor". The "Coolant Temperature Sensor" is in the block and is a Thermistor for the ECU. The one you speak of is the Thermo Fan Switch. The other one related to temperature is the Gauge Sender. All three are different so which one is he talking about?

Nev
                              Your right Nev, sorry! i just assumed he ment the fan sensor

Comment

Working...
                              X