Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pads & Disks Bedding in period??

Hi all
    Just put new pads and disks on my truck,and I'd love to say I'm delighted with them,but I'm not.
    From the off there was a pulsing under the brake pedal and today I've been for a 150 mile round trip and it seems to have got worse.
    Passenger side disk now has a blue tinge on the outside,due to heat and is defo sticking a bit for about a third of the disk.Drivers side seems fine.
    Anybody had this or is it normal and will go away??
    Regards
    Mark

No, that's not normal. Is the disk on the hub properly?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Yes
      that was my initial thought,so I've had both front wheels off and checked that the hubs are right up to the disk and they are!

Comment

bedding in peripd is usually aprox 50miles.

Sounds like you have been hard braking before they have fully bedded in, which has got them too hot, and they have warped prematurely, thus giving you the pulsating brake pedal.l.

Only remadie is to fit a complete new set of discs and pads. try and get them replaced under the parts gaurentee, as there may have been a manufacturing fault.

Had the same trouble on my mk2 astra, i broke too hard too soon and the discs warped.
        Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Sounds warped to me if the disc is actually on properly.

Comment

Yep, if you've definitely taken it off to check and it's definitely on right, the disk is warped.

Even if it wasn't warped before (merely fitted wrong), it is warped now.

Comment

Originally posted by yogigypsy View Post
              bedding in peripd is usually aprox 50miles.

Sounds like you have been hard braking before they have fully bedded in, which has got them too hot, and they have warped prematurely, thus giving you the pulsating brake pedal.l.

Only remadie is to fit a complete new set of discs and pads. try and get them replaced under the parts gaurentee, as there may have been a manufacturing fault.

Had the same trouble on my mk2 astra, i broke too hard too soon and the discs warped.
              I agree with everything you say here,but I've definately not done any hard breaking on them,other than a drive way test then 5 km's of country lanes and onto the motorway this morning for 70 KM's.
              From what you say by the time I got to the end of the motorway they should have been bedded in!

Regards

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                Even if it wasn't warped before (merely fitted wrong), it is warped now.
                Don't really see how it could have been fitted wrongly 6 bolts out/in clean up and torque down ? Not Rocket science

Comment

Originally posted by s car go View Post
                  Don't really see how it could have been fitted wrongly 6 bolts out/in clean up and torque down ? Not Rocket science
                  Could easily be either a dodgy batch from a manufacturing point of view or (more likely) damaged between manufacturing and putting on your truck.

Comment

Or a sticking caliper causing too much heat build up.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                      Or a sticking caliper causing too much heat build up.
                      That's my thought. Installing new pads in calipers that are in need of a rebuild will often cause them to bind and thus overheat.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                        That's my thought. Installing new pads in calipers that are in need of a rebuild will often cause them to bind and thus overheat.

Nev
                        Good point! How would you know if the calipers are in need of a rebuild??

Thanks

Comment

You'd be surprised at how many people get it wrong (disk squint, bolt holes dirty etc., both of which will not be negated by torquing the bolts btw.). Like you said, it's not rocket science.

Comment

They'll be sticking. I think you'd have noticed them binding when you checked the brakes though?

Comment

Thanks
                              Your discs would look something like this

Comment

Working...
                              X