How do you determine the amperage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you determine the amperage?

Is there a way you can determine the amperage of a battery by looking at it. Is ther some mystic number on it that shows year of manufacture and amperage? Thanks.

Breaking 2 K reg Surfs

I was at a breaker's yard near Leominster and they have two Surfs. One is partially dismantled and the other is almost complete. They are both K reg. Unfortunately I forgot os check if they were petrol or diesel. Here is the link to the site. See http://www.p-tmoore.co.uk/ I bought a starter motor for a Volvo 440 from them and the charge was £25 and they have a 7 day exchange plan!

Comment

There will be two numbers you want to look at.

First up there will be a figure of amp hours (Ah) on the label somewhere. This is basically the amount of hours a current of 1A would be delivered by the battery and is one judge of how much a battery can deliver.

More importantly (in my opinion) on a Surf diesel engine it'll give you a cold cranking amps value (CCA) and that is a number to indicate how much "oomf" your battery will produce to kick the thing into life.

Both of my batteries are 700ish CCA and about 100Ah or so (from memory).

The pair of batteries for a standard Surf are something like 078/079 type (left and right handed). For a 4-Runner with a single battery I think it's 334 or something similar.

Hope this info helps!

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
        There will be two numbers you want to look at.

First up there will be a figure of amp hours (Ah) on the label somewhere. This is basically the amount of hours a current of 1A would be delivered by the battery and is one judge of how much a battery can deliver.

More importantly (in my opinion) on a Surf diesel engine it'll give you a cold cranking amps value (CCA) and that is a number to indicate how much "oomf" your battery will produce to kick the thing into life.

Both of my batteries are 700ish CCA and about 100Ah or so (from memory).

The pair of batteries for a standard Surf are something like 078/079 type (left and right handed). For a 4-Runner with a single battery I think it's 334 or something similar.

Hope this info helps!
        Mine is a 3rd gen so only has one battery. I found the AH which is 90 amp. It was hidden under the restraining bracket. Battery is a "Tungstone" battery.

Comment

Working...
        X