Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo leak...

righty ho campers...

did a thread search a found a couple of posts from Rustinho about a leak he had but it was from the centre of the turbo.

Mine seems to be from the front. I cant see anything from the pipe work, but... is it possible for oil to leak into the main large pipe ( that feeds to the air filter)? as that may be what is causing a spray like oil deposit on the front of the turbo itself. oil is also slowly getting on the stuff below.

here is a pic..

My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Dont recall if the crankcase breather feeds into the intake somewhere (certainly does on my GT4) and results in a small amount of oil in the turbo compressor. As long as you're not using oil its probably nothing to worry about.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      Dont recall if the crankcase breather feeds into the intake somewhere (certainly does on my GT4) and results in a small amount of oil in the turbo compressor. As long as you're not using oil its probably nothing to worry about.
      dont think im losing oil, been checking and it hasnt change much at all.

did notice a circular patch of black on the air filter when i changed it, so it could be the oil from the turbo getting to the air filter, which would explain where the oil is coming from.

just dont want to tinker too much as i believe in the phrase....if it aint broke, dont fix it!

Comment

The turbo itself shouldn't be leaking too much oil...

Like you say, if it aint broke, dont fix it.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Hi mate,

Looks like a 2.4 with no aircon to me.
          The crankcase breathes into the air intake, it's
          more than likely that's where the oil is comming
          from, and the rubber elbow is split where it is fixed
          to the turbo, just done mine yesterday, no oil leak
          Roughtrax £31.00 each.
          Hope this helps.

Gman.
          If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
            Hi mate,

Looks like a 2.4 with no aircon to me.
            The crankcase breathes into the air intake, it's
            more than likely that's where the oil is comming
            from, and the rubber elbow is split where it is fixed
            to the turbo, just done mine yesterday, no oil leak
            Roughtrax £31.00 each.
            Hope this helps.

Gman.
            indeed , you are right. the aircon has been disabled.

ill shall have a further investigation.

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
              indeed , you are right. the aircon has been disabled.

ill shall have a further investigation.
              Be carefull, the elbow will disintregrate if you pull
              too hard, they harden with age,

Gman.
              If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
                Be carefull, the elbow will disintregrate if you pull
                too hard, they harden with age,

Gman.
                i shall purchase a replacement before i tinker.

Comment

a better pic i think.

Comment

would an oil/air seperator work well?

Comment

I still haven't got around to sorting out my turbo but since I took the EGR system off it is smoking a hell of a lot less once I stop. I'm guessing that the turbo must be running at a lower temperature and isn't burning the oil from the leak.

I ran out of fuel recently on a major junction (A500/A50 in Stoke if anyone knows it!) and the police turned up cos I was causing an obstruction *cough cough*. I was stood there with the bonnet up furiously trying to manually pump enough fuel through to get the damn thing started again and one of the coppers commented "does it always smell like that?!".

Must be the mix of veggie oil and burning engine oil from the turbo (pre EGR removal!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                        I still haven't got around to sorting out my turbo but since I took the EGR system off it is smoking a hell of a lot less once I stop. I'm guessing that the turbo must be running at a lower temperature and isn't burning the oil from the leak.

I ran out of fuel recently on a major junction (A500/A50 in Stoke if anyone knows it!) and the police turned up cos I was causing an obstruction *cough cough*. I was stood there with the bonnet up furiously trying to manually pump enough fuel through to get the damn thing started again and one of the coppers commented "does it always smell like that?!".

Must be the mix of veggie oil and burning engine oil from the turbo (pre EGR removal!)

he probably felt hungry at the smell of chip shop fat! lol

i havent blanked off the EGR valve yet. must get round to doing. cant i just zip tie both ends?

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
                          he probably felt hungry at the smell of chip shop fat! lol

i havent blanked off the EGR valve yet. must get round to doing. cant i just zip tie both ends?
                          You can, but given how easy it is to rip the whole thing off I'd recommend doing it. If you zip-tie the vacuum pipes off it'll only do the trick assuming that the EGR valve isn't stuck in the open position.

It really is easy. I bought some 5mm steel plates from someone on fleaBay, used the old EGR pipe as a template and cut the steel plate to size with an angle grinder.

Reassemble with copper exhaust gasket sealant, making sure you use the old steel gaskets too, and jobs a good 'un.

Should take you a couple of hours or so assuming you have all the tools to hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
                            You can, but given how easy it is to rip the whole thing off I'd recommend doing it. If you zip-tie the vacuum pipes off it'll only do the trick assuming that the EGR valve isn't stuck in the open position.

It really is easy. I bought some 5mm steel plates from someone on fleaBay, used the old EGR pipe as a template and cut the steel plate to size with an angle grinder.

Reassemble with copper exhaust gasket sealant, making sure you use the old steel gaskets too, and jobs a good 'un.

Should take you a couple of hours or so assuming you have all the tools to hand.

ill give it a whirl.

wouldnt happen to have the template still would you, or maybe even some spare plates you made as extra?...lol

Comment

Not kept any spares - sorry!

They come with a ready made template - just take the steel gaskets off and draw around them.

The finished product doesn't have to look pretty but make sure you file down any sharp edges to avoid cutting yourself when you're working with them/around them in the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X