Airconditioning Dilemma!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airconditioning Dilemma!

Hi again, I have a few questions relating to the air conditioning on my KZN130 I'm sure that as many of you also drive "imports" you will also have the same problems as I have? My aircon needs regassing - My friend has the equipment for doing this but he says that as it is a Jap Import it has threaded type connectors rather than the European push fit type. I've been in touch with "Autokool" who have recommended an adapter but stated that I will need to convert the surf from R12 to R134a gas. I've taken a butchers under the bonnet and the first thing that I noticed was that the High side and Low side connections appear to be different sizes - I'm not sure that the adapter that was recommended to me will fit - It certainly won't fit both the high side and Low side if they are both different sizes! The second thing that I noticed was that the compressor and the information label on the slam panel both state that the Surf is allready filled with R134a gas and ND-8 oil OK, so the R134a is good news and the ND-8 oil is bad news! Anyone know where to obtain ND-8 oil from? I'm told that the "ND" stands for Nippon Denso. There doesn't seem to be too much about this subject on the forum (unless I am going blind) I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone can offer on the technicalities of adapters for Jap cars and also Nd-8 compressor oil including suppliers. There must be one of you surfers out there who can help me solve this dilemma? Many thanks for your help in advance!

hiluxshep

Someone who knows what they're talking about will be along shortly, I'm sure.

In the meantime, I took mine to a garage that deals with aircon who fitted the adaptors for me and then realised that there was actually no aircon rad on my Surf!

I've been in two minds ever since about whether to bother getting a rad fitted so I can enjoy aircon in the summer. I suspect I will do it in the end cos the summer has only just started and it gets too blummin warm in it. Opening a window almost does the trick but not quite up to aircon standards...

*scratches chin thoughtfully*

Comment

Ripped all my aircon out and drove to Southern Spain and back in up to 45 degrees....

No problemo....

I don't think it's needed...

Comment

Why?

Why would anyone want to remove their air conditioning and drive to southern spain in 45 degrees of heat? What is the point in paying for extras that you will later remove? I'm warm blooded and I like my air conditioning - I need it to work!

hiluxshep

Comment

Mine's all gone too, I just open a window, or the
          sunroof, tailgate, or everything cheaper on the
          diesel that way.

Gman.
          If it aint broke, keep goin' till it is.

Comment

Arrrrghhhhhhhhhhhh!

That is not going to help me much in July when I am trying to get to the RIATT in June, when I am stuck in slow moving traffic in a Surf with no sunroof! Why did anyone bother to invent air conditioning in vehicles with electric windows?

hiluxshep

Comment

just get someone to gas it up, it'll have enough oil it for now. You have available gas in it from new, its not that hard for someone with the kit. Any decent A/C person will have the adapters they need to fill it, but you shouldn't need anything odd on a 3.0 truck.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by GRASSMAN View Post
                Mine's all gone too, I just open a window, or the
                sunroof, tailgate, or everything cheaper on the
                diesel that way.

Gman.
                I read/saw that the drag from open windows uses same fuel as running air-con compressor, so dosn't really count.

Comment

Originally posted by hiluxshep View Post
                  Why would anyone want to remove their air conditioning and drive to southern spain in 45 degrees of heat? What is the point in paying for extras that you will later remove? I'm warm blooded and I like my air conditioning - I need it to work!

hiluxshep

AFAIK they all come with aircon so I didn't pay over the odds for it..... I've only ever encountered one surf with working aircon btw - most need re-gassing..

Mine didn't work when I bought it so it would have cost me money to make it work and tbh I've never needed aircon. As GMan says an open window etc is enough....

Also removing all the aircon crap gives me a weight saving which helps when my truck is full of camping gear..

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    I read/saw that the drag from open windows uses same fuel as running air-con compressor, so dosn't really count.

I thought they'd decided that aircon on / shut windows was more economical than aircon off / open windows.... I'll play the weight saving card as a joker and be done

Comment

Help!

How does the drag from open widows count if you are stuck in traffic in the summer?

Comment

That is not going to help me much in July when I am trying to get to the RIATT in June, when I am stuck in slow moving traffic in a Surf with no sunroof! Why did anyone bother to invent air conditioning in vehicles with electric windows?

hiluxshep

If it's July and you're trying to get to an event in June you've got far bigger problems than whether your aircons working....

I don't think the UK gets hot enough to even think about having aircon but I'm an 'outdoors' kind of bloke.....

Comment

How does the drag from open widows count if you are stuck in traffic in the summer?

When you're driving along!!!

Comment

Yeah sitting in traffic you're just burning diesel to keep cool you planet killer you ;D

Comment

Oh I Give Up!

OK so air conditoining is pointless! I wont bother to drive in the summer, and where did all the technical answers dissapear to? Is there another Surf driver on the planet who wishs to drive in the summer with air conditioning?

Comment

Working...
                              X