Allotment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allotment

Hi just taken over an allotment,any ideas of what to plant to get a crop this year?

Originally posted by bigal View Post
    Hi just taken over an allotment,any ideas of what to plant to get a crop this year?
    Almost everything really. It's only halfway thru May.

Beans, peas, salad veg, onions etc. I'd just get down the garden centre and read the seed packets and look for those that can still be planted now.

Possibly spuds is the only thing you're too late for, tho an early or mid cropper may still have time

Comment

With such a lousy winter and cold spring you should still have time to plant most things mate, you could still even get some maincrop spuds in if your quick. Is the garden in good nick or overgrown? If its a bit overgrown prepair small areas and get them planted up as you go along. Spuds are good at busting up tough soil to make life a bit better next year. Beans are goog as well they improve soil for the following season. Most plants and seeds should be put in after the last frost, so you have loads of time. Have a shuft at the BBC 'Dig in' website.

Spoggle

Comment

Hey, I've got an allotment too, if you've only just got it then you better get your skates on with planting, but that all depends on the condition it's in right now, beans of all types salad veggies too will be fine.

Ask someone else on the site for advice on the condition of the soil etc, you might be better digging over a small area and planting in there rather than try and plant the whole lot.

Find out how long it's been left for and when it last had any manure etc dug in.

The longer it's been left the more stuff gets dumped on them unfortunately.

Take some pics if you can and try digging over a couple of square metres first.

peace
        cal
        Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Deffo onions and tomatos. A decent poly cover, and you might get some chillis up and running as well. As mentioned previously, look at all the seed packets and see what you can grow.

Btw, my top tip for tomatos. A cool greenhouse or warmish garden area. water ONLY, till the flowers appear and feed only when flowers start to bud. The best feed has a lot of potassium in it. I use...err...tomato puree. Its worked wonders in prior years.

good luck...youll love it.
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks for the info,think its been left for a year,council rotovated it 3 wks ago,looks like i need to get busy!

Comment

Originally posted by bigal View Post
              Thanks for the info,think its been left for a year,council rotovated it 3 wks ago,looks like i need to get busy!

You'll have to stay ontop of the weeding, things bind weed will just resprout from chopped up roots, best dig a patch or two over before planting.

Have a hunt round for a book called "Make your garden feed you" by E.T. Brown lots of great stuff in there, hasn't changed since WW11 hehe

Gratz anyways!

peace
              cal
              Last edited by Calos; 18 May 2010, 11:29.
              Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

I've always found weeds grow any time of the year on allotments and most other places aswell so you could just go for the living the wild side of gardening and eat anything wild..
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

plant some friut trees in the sides in rows like fencing
                  train em down wires give a good side wall of fruit in a few years time

any how owt ya want to know about with plants just ask mate
                  i keep it simple like me

weather is first problem

just put your post code in http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/inde...code=S65%201LW

its quite spot on mostly
                  Last edited by JUDWAK; 18 May 2010, 15:46.
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Working...
                  X