Surf audio, ICE etc - wot have you got

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surf audio, ICE etc - wot have you got

I recently got my first Surf - a 2nd gen SSR-X 3.0 - and one of the first jobs is to get some decent sounds in it

Currently the head unit works, but only on the front speakers, which are total cack.

So, I'm wondering whether to go for a decent audio setup and wondered what others had done.

The options seem to be:

1. Replace the front 4 inchers - that's a no-brainer.
    2. Replace rear 5 inchers - not so keen on this because they won't give much bass, but the benefit is there'll be no cutting of panels
    3. Get some 6x9s in the back. This will mean cutting of rear panels
    4. Get 6x9s OR change the 5inchers AND get a bass bin - drawbacks here include where to put it and not being sure if it'll do the dog any good being next to a bass bin.

Thoughts anyone?

What have you done in your Surf, sounds-wise?

PS: I'm not after hot-hatch type silly bass, but an acceptable level to sound OK, say with some reggae

DVD Head unit with built in 7" screen with 2 screens for the rear passengers on the back of the headrests, standard front and rear speakers + 10" small box sub.

The 6x9's are still in the box as I haven't had time to cut them in. My speakers are original and still pretty good so just added an amp under the driver's seat to fill out the sound, I'm not exactly gonna be found in the local "Maccy Dee's" every night but it kicks out pretty well!

Thanks,

Ray.
    I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
      DVD Head unit with built in 7" screen with 2 screens for the rear passengers on the back of the headrests, standard front and rear speakers + 10" small box sub.
      Cheers Ray. Where did you stick the sub box?

Comment

Got my truck a little while ago and it had a dead Kenwood unit. I swapped that for a new Alpine CD103BT and was pleased to find the front speakers had been replaced at some point with some Vibe SA40s. Not sure whether they're regarded as good, but they sounded good with the Alpine running into them.

The rear speakers... I have a pair of 2 ohm 30W speakers behind the panels in the back. No name on them so I'm assuming OEM fit. With a bit of volume they pump enough noise out and as my boot is usually full or covered up, I decided to leave them.

Last thing I did was to put a cheap amp in the tool compartment and run a bass box from it with removable wires. Sounds great, especially with a bit of dub going through it :o)

The sub was well worth it. Whatever type of music I put through the system, it sounds so much better.

HTH,

Jim

Comment

runnin a JVC head unit, changed front speaker to mutants, with a fitted crossover and tweeters.

Not changed rears as they sounded alrite.

Got a twin 12" vibe flo 2000 watt subs powered by a mono chanel D class kenwood 1000 watt amp.

And it booms!!
          Keep On Truckin!

Comment

I got an all teeth and t1ts chinese telly come radio come dvd come cd come mp3 come reversing camera, the camers good, upgradeing to a crystal set soon,
            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Reggae and Dub, fine taste good sirs...

Comment

Just be careful when swapping the fronts my speakers were to deep for the boxes and I had to cut them up

Ollie
                If in doubt, get a bigger hammer.

Comment

Same as Popeye but without the reversing camera. 2 x 10" x 600 watt subs with built in amp, nowt flash but I didn't buy it to end up with perforated eardrums!
                  'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

I have Crystal 3 way comps for the front and an RE-SE12 2 Ohm Sub in a matched, sealed, enclosure.

For the fronts I have a Directed Audio 700/6 and a Tru Tech F-1b 3 way Active Crossover. The sub has a Vibe MonoBox amp.

It's all lying behind the sofa!
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      I have Crystal 3 way comps for the front and an RE-SE12 2 Ohm Sub in a matched, sealed, enclosure.

For the fronts I have a Directed Audio 700/6 and a Tru Tech F-1b 3 way Active Crossover. The sub has a Vibe MonoBox amp.

It's all lying behind the sofa!

Huh!!
                      Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

My sound system is under the bonnet.

Comment

have 5 1/4" components up the front, and vibe qb69's cut in to the 2 storage compartments, also have a 1000w 12" focal sub & amp sitting directly behind seats,

Comment

Forget about a sound system...Just listen to the 'big' sounds from yer truck

Comment

I have two CERWIN VEGA 12 500W subs each with its own Kenwood 1000W amps. Fronts have been changed for Alpine's that i am going to be changing when the Funds become available. Alpine CD / IPOD Head unit..
                              Always room for more power!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X