Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First 4runner

Hi everyone,

Ok, first of, a little introduction (then some questions...)

After checking for some time, I decided to get myself a toy which could haul me and my divegear (a lot!) through the world and I was pretty sure it was going to be a 4runner, so I started looking... Then, 2 months ago, I found my 4runner. A 1995 (2nd Gen) 3.0 TD with 150.000 kms. I cannot relate the equipment version to the UK system, but she has the works. (power windows, mirrors, sunroof, winter pack, chrome bumbers and the original wheel-flares) No A/C though, but I can live with that... And, what made my choice, she just had a new timing belt, etc, 7000 kms ago.

BUT, and there is always a but in these stories, no? She was in dire need of some TLC. She had a saggy bum, shot front brakes, plenty other stuff and of course the all to well known rust here and there...

So, over the last 2 months, I have spent most of my free time fixing whatever I could do. Well; first came the sagging, so, in came a set of Roughtrax +2" springs. Then, a complete filter change (oil, fuel and air) along with new oil, of course. To that, I have now spent my free time over the last 2 weeks, cleaning the underbody and covering it with Tectyl, as the 4runner seems to have no rust-prevention whatsoever!?!

All in all, I am happy... I do think that the 4Runner/ Surf is one of the best looking 4x4s out there.

So far, she has only been light mudding and the real offroad test still lies ahead. (not very legal in these corners of Europe)

BUT, back to my question... I have a suspicion that the rear diff is acting up. First of all, she makes that churning noise, whenever I drive away from a T-crossing (+ I can do quite an impressive drift if the road is a bit wet), I see quite an excessive amount of tire wear on the rear tires and when I did the springs, the rear diff (and LSD) acts in a way, very much alike to a locker (both wheels turning the same speed, same direction). Yesterday, I changed the rear diff breather, which crumbled in my hands once off, and there was the sound as if you were opening a fizzy drink... Does anyone have a sensible answer/ solution to this?

Thanks for any info...

Jesper

Hi Jesper welcome on board, enjoy your stay.

Appologies for missing your introduction, we were bitchin' about another member........probably.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 9 July 2012, 11:06.

Comment

Hello Jesper. Welcome to the forum. Without listening to your diff, it would be difficult to diagnose. Firstly, try syphoning some of the diff oil out, and check its condition, especially for metal particles. If it's ok, dont forget to top it up with the correct diff oil.(Check that you definitely have an LSD). Your diff breather sounds like it was blocked. Just replace with a new one, or extend the breathers with some tubing. (Plenty of info on here).....Good luck.
      " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

check the date Mick

Comment

Originally posted by Balllsy View Post
          check the date Mick
          Grrr! It's that Mister Bushwhacker and his damnable thread trawls!!!!!.........
          " Time wounds all heels ".

Comment

I nearly replied too

Comment

Well, thanks for the (although a bit delayed) warm welcome... Still lurking around here.

Honestly, I am just happy I wasn't the one being bitched about!

Ah, in the meantime, the 4Runner has had quite a run; LSD (definitely) has been drained and refilled, did wonders! and last year it got a new head, courtesy of Tony, who did his magic and got her running again.

That, and various other small mods keeps her happy on the roads and trails...
              Still some things to come though; Rear wheel carrier from a Surf, Sliders and so on, but it will come!

Anyway... Nice resurrection!
              Attached Files

Comment

nice truck you got there,
                do you have a close up of the roof tent?
                how do you have fixed on?

and a late welcome,
                the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

I saw your truck down at Tony's.....really liked some of the things you have done to it....

The seat covers were a bit posh!
                  .... Which was nice.

Comment

"Posh"?!? Well, in my defense, you saw them when they were brand-spanking new... But OK, I can see what you mean! Still better than the disintegrating drivers seat, though.

HA, I think Tony liked the "driver-side snorkel", due to the LHD.

@ Bud

Tent is a Maggiolina Grand Tour, which was resprayed in matt grey earlier this year. (as the wife kept calling it "the fridge", due to the white colour.)

Its fixed on a roof rack I welded up with my brother, this is attached to the roof (and the crossbars in the roof) with airline rails... Just loosen the bolts and the whole rack can be detached, leaving only the rails on the roof. All cables are connected through the roof with 2 waterproof connectors I got in a boat-shop.
                    Normally, she is dressed like this spring to autumn and "undressed" in the winter.

I found some pics, both of the Runner (a couple of days after I got it) and how she sits today, the interior, the rack, tent, etc...

(Sorry for some of the quality of the pics)

Just let me know if there is anything specific you want to know.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Jesper; 10 July 2012, 09:35.

Comment

I like the truck

I have been thinking about the hard roof tent too as i will be doing loads of traveling but cant justify the price for tent the roof bars etc...expensive! Its also bigger than i thought on the 4runner, not sure how it would sit with sunroof

Comment

Working...
                      X