Passenger Airbag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Airbag

Is it possible to disconnect the passenger side airbag on a 3rd gen surf my girlfriend is due our first baby soon. I have struggled to get a child seat as the seat belts seem shorter than normal, anyway I bought one with a base unit which fits perfect. Ideally I would like to put the seat in the front so if it is as easy as removing a fuse or diconnecting a cable i will be happy if not she can go in the back.
    Peachy
    3.0TD
    New Gen

Originally posted by Peachy
    Is it possible to disconnect the passenger side airbag on a 3rd gen surf my girlfriend is due our first baby soon. I have struggled to get a child seat as the seat belts seem shorter than normal, anyway I bought one with a base unit which fits perfect. Ideally I would like to put the seat in the front so if it is as easy as removing a fuse or diconnecting a cable i will be happy if not she can go in the back.
    This was discussed here not too long ago. Its not quite as simple as pulling a fuse. It may be possible to disconnect it, altough safety precautions must be taken if doing so as they can be triggered when removing. When disconnected in this manner it might not be safe to cintinue with the airbag installed but not connected.
    Another very valid point which someone brought up was that in the unfortunate event of an accident (presuming an adult, not your child is in the seat) you may have difficulties if they suffer any injury as your insurers may claim you deliberatly decreased the safety and crashworthiness of the vehicle.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

The safest place for the little person is in the back .

Not necessarly the very back (boot area) , but in a baby seat on the rear seat .

Rick

PS you can tell I ain't got kids .
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I totally agree...

Leave the front airbag intact. The safest place for a little one is in a suitable child seat securely and properly fitted to your rear seats.
        Probably safer on the off side too, as you are in control of entering islands etc, so you have a limited level of control of risk from side impacts from your right, where as you can't stop idiots piling into the near side of your vehicle as you go round an island! If doing this though, still lift your child out from whichever the curb side will be when parking!
        Avoid the centre seat in the rear, even if it has a three point belt, as the design of most seat cushions in the rear are raised or flat in the centre, and will allow a child seat to slide left and right, and topple into the left or right seat cushions which are sculptured. this can allow many child seats to twist completely out of the vehicles seat belt!
        Very small babies are safest in a rear facing child seat (as most designed for young babies are), and THE most important thing is to ensure the child seat not only fits the vehicle well, but is fitted properly. ...Studies show that a high percentage of individuals simply do not understand how to properly route and adjust seat belts through and around a child seat's various mechanisms. Read the instructions very carefully, and if other family members are using the set-up, coach them in fitting and adjusting the seat correctly, then ask them to demonstrate it to your satisfaction. The grandparents for example may feel stupid asking how to fit a seat properly, and end up making silly mistakes which actually render the seat dangerous. Many people are completely confused when presented with a 3D diagram to follow on how to thread a seat belt correctly. Finally, many child seats need adjusting upon every use depending upon how bulky your childs clothes are, i.e. coat or no coat etc... and as your child grows, many seats require harnesses re-threading or adjustments making for the position of the childs shoulder straps, so check regularly.

Regards, Craig.

Comment

Working...
        X