Clean oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean oil

Changed the oil & filter on the GT4 about 6 weeks ago. Pottering around at lunchtime so checked oil level. Spot on and still transparent / clean 6 weeks on!! I never had a car that did that before! The Surf's looked like sh1t ten miles after changing it!

Also did this - some silver vinyl infills fitted to the WRC spoiler riser blocks
    Attached Files
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Looks good mate!

Are the risers carbon fibre?
    www.europa88.co.uk Loadsa mods!

Comment

No, these are original GRP ones. CF ones are available and do look lush, but are near £300 a pair!

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
        . Spot on and still transparent / clean 6 weeks on!! I never had a car that did that before! The Surf's looked like sh1t ten miles after changing it!
        Thats because youve gone from C/I to IC. Diesel engine oil as you say looks as black 5 minutes after changing as it did before changing. Good old Petrol engine oil stays clean and "shiny" for ages

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

No, these are original GRP ones. CF ones are available and do look lush, but are near £300 a pair!
          You could sand them back to bare glass and put a single layer of carbon over them and get the look without spending £300

Ollie
          If in doubt, get a bigger hammer.

Comment

You'd struggle to get a good finish without the mould though.

'spose I could take them off and make some moulds and start making CF ones

Have just put original airbox back in with a decent panel filter. The airbox takes cool air from behind the front grille.

I now have a nice Apexi 'dual vortex' cone filter and chrome pipes on eBay. The dual vortex "speeds up the air" or something - somehow I doubt (even if the dubious psuedotech claims hold water) that a change in the speed of the air is due to the shape of a filter - more likely the ###### great turbo at the other end of the pipe!
            Last edited by Apache; 7 May 2010, 17:55.

Comment

Changed the oil & filter on the GT4 about 6 weeks ago. Pottering around at lunchtime so checked oil level. Spot on and still transparent / clean 6 weeks on!! I never had a car that did that before! The Surf's looked like sh1t ten miles after changing it!

Also did this - some silver vinyl infills fitted to the WRC spoiler riser blocks
              Hello apache,this is davids dad (David who you bought the gt4 off) hope the car is going well, just wondered if you could take a couple of pics so i could show david his ex pride and joy.

nigel

Comment

Hi David's dad. You got yourself a Surf did you?

Touching wood, the car's going fine. I had to pull the intercooler pump out and rebuild it. It was seized solid and causing loss of boost when hot. Was a bit of a mare getting it out but easy enough to service.

I'm planning on refitting the standard springs when I get some time and a nice day. Just prefer the look of the car at the standard ride height, and a more forgiving ride than those TEIN's (they're back breaking!) - I'm old enough to have stood in freezing cold forests watching those cars, and they weren't 2" off the ground!

I'll take some pics and post them up. Any sign of his sprog yet?

Comment

Originally posted by riobenson View Post
                  just wondered if you could take a couple of pics so i could show david his ex pride and joy.
                  nigel
                  thats just mean, that is!!!!
                  If you're gonna be a bear... be a Grizzly.

Comment

Originally posted by legendgamesmaster View Post
                    thats just mean, that is!!!!
                    I know, iam a shit like that.

Comment

no i have not got the surf yet (just need to sell the zed)but have seen a couple i like,i know what you mean about the ride when i have driven the gt4s i always loose fillings lol.No the sprog is due August september time.

Nigel
                      Last edited by riobenson; 8 May 2010, 15:04.

Comment

You'd struggle to get a good finish without the mould though.

'spose I could take them off and make some moulds and start making CF ones

Have just put original airbox back in with a decent panel filter. The airbox takes cool air from behind the front grille.

I now have a nice Apexi 'dual vortex' cone filter and chrome pipes on eBay. The dual vortex "speeds up the air" or something - somehow I doubt (even if the dubious psuedotech claims hold water) that a change in the speed of the air is due to the shape of a filter - more likely the ###### great turbo at the other end of the pipe!
                        I work for a composite manufacturing plant and use carbon fibre , kevlar and glass cloth all the time. I can lay my hands on the odd piece of carbon fibre from time to time ?

Comment

What kind of mould would be best for building CF spoiler riser blocks? I was thinking something like fibreglass? How would I guarantee that I would not mess up my original riser blocks taking a mould from them? Raw CF risers would look great!

I'm a newb when it comes to working with composites, so if you can give me pointers...

Comment

Fibreglass chop strand mat would be good for a mould and if your planning on making a few a good quality tooling gelcoat would also be good. The best way to take a mould is off the orginals give them a good clean cover any holes with aluminum tape and give them 6+ coats of release wax the more the better and if your confident you can layup on this if your less confident you can use PVA release film. If you can find a couple of pics of the origanls from a few angles I can give you a few suggestions for the way the moulds should be made depending on the shape of the orginals you may need to make a split mould.

Ollie
                            If in doubt, get a bigger hammer.

Comment

What kind of mould would be best for building CF spoiler riser blocks? I was thinking something like fibreglass? How would I guarantee that I would not mess up my original riser blocks taking a mould from them? Raw CF risers would look great!

I'm a newb when it comes to working with composites, so if you can give me pointers...
                              Sorry Apache i cant really help you there , the place i work only impregnates the carbon , glass and kevlar fabrics with various resin systems dependant on the use of the finished product. These will then be sent to the customers who will then lay up the material and form to the finished product. Most of the materials used are finished in autoclave ovens ,that i do know, but would not be necessary for the kind of use you are after. In our labs we use a release material over the mould but this is only to ensure it comes clean away from the mould and not so much for damage limitation. Alot of our moulds are machined out of ally so not much to damage on them really.
                              I would suggest an old set as a template if you can get your hands on them.
                              If you need the odd bit of CF to play about with let me know and i will see what i can get you.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X