Okay, So I was Wrong!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, So I was Wrong!

It wasn't the air con pump that was squealing, as I found out to my annoyance earlier today. Cut the air con belt off, drove around for an hour, stopped the engine and when I came to start it up and hour later lo and behold there was the squeal again.

The only probable cause now is likely to be the alternator bearing, because it appears to be the only thing left in the area where the noise is coming from. I guess it's a new or second hand unit now as I can see no mention on Roughtrax or Milners of a bearing replacement kit.

Bummer!
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Mine used to squeal until I sprayed behind the pulley with WD40. Hasn't done it again since.

Comment

Just in case it's something stupid, mine squeaks on and off and it was driving me mental but one day when I was trying to find out what it was I leaned on the fan shroud and it stopped, a few more tests proved it's just squeaky metal on metal caused by the engine vibration.
      Check it before ripping anything to pieces, hopefully it's the same for you.

Take it off completely or re-seat it and see what happens.

Thanks,

Ray.
      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Upgrade the sound system, you will stop hearing all these noises.
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Aye, good blast of WD to remove the dust and crap in there and it should be all good. (mines was)
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Cheers lads, I always love the easy option! One good dose of WD40 coming up.

Comment

I'd also check the tension whilst your there, my recently departed Clio would slip the alt belt on cold start up but not anytime after until it fully cooled down again.

Comment

Doing the timing belt next weekend, got the the other three belts from Roughtrax as well so the whole lot will be changed and tensioned. The squeal can come on once the engine is warm, but only on start up which leads me to believe it is the bearing. I'll have a good look next weekend but in the meantime, bring on the WD40.

Comment

iam sure my alternator bearing was 30 quid or so from toyota
                  they dont squeek all the time at first
                  it comes in bursts
                  wd40 will cure it for a sort while
                  thats how i found out it was my alternator bearing
                  i sparyed the bearing pullys one by one while the squeek was there
                  when i sparyed the alternator bearing it went quiet

but if you leave it too long the alternator bearing sounds really loud
                  and is a constant noise
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Hi Jim. Couple of years back I had a bit of a squeal that came and went next thing that I knew the waterpump bearing collapsed So if your gonna change the timing belt have a good look at the waterpump when you've got it all stripped down.

Spoggle

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                      My thoughts exactly!!
                      Keep On Truckin!

Comment

Originally posted by Spoggle View Post
                        Hi Jim. Couple of years back I had a bit of a squeal that came and went next thing that I knew the waterpump bearing collapsed So if your gonna change the timing belt have a good look at the waterpump when you've got it all stripped down.

Spoggle
                        Cack, that's not what I wanted to hear. I'll try spraying the alternator bearing first as the squeal comes on at least once a week, if it goes then I guess I'm okay for a while. If not then it's water pump time.

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                        Originally posted by yogigypsy View Post
                        My thoughts exactly!!
                        Great advice guys. I'll listen to the expensive sound system after my engine blows up and I'm waiting for the tow truck to arrive. Then I'll sell the expensive sound system at a loss to pay for the repairs that would have cost me far far less if I'd just fixed it in the first place. (Now that's sarcasm!)

Comment

Working...
                        X