2nd Gen v 3rd Gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Gen v 3rd Gen

We were lining ourselves up for a 96/97 G intercooler but now somebody is having a rethink .......

What are the main differences between the 2nd & 3rd Generation 3.0 TD Surfs ?

Am I right in saying the main differences are the tailgate & the permanent 4WD capability ?
    Life is too important to take seriously !

Originally posted by Predictable Bob
    We were lining ourselves up for a 96/97 G intercooler but now somebody is having a rethink .......

What are the main differences between the 2nd & 3rd Generation 3.0 TD Surfs ?

Am I right in saying the main differences are the tailgate & the permanent 4WD capability ?
    I previously (several years ago) had a '93 2.4, and currently have a '96 3.0.
    Economy appears identical, I don't have figures for the old one, but my current one seems to get 24 to 26.5mpg no matter how I drive it. Performance with the 3.0 is noticably better than the 2.4, take-off and overtaking are greatly improved, especially considering this is an auto whilst my 2.4 was a manual.

The '96 being the first of the newer generation is of course quite different to the '93. Main differences include
    ABS
    Twin Airbags
    Rack and pinion steering
    Coil Sprung front suspension
    Greater internal room
    Lift-up tailgate (keeps electric window ))
    Full/Part-time 4WD (option to use 4WD with open centre diff, ie usuable on tarmac in 4WD).
    16" Wheels
    Conventional handbrake now resides on the floor.

Whilst visually it shares much in common with the 2nd gen models, all body panels are different, whilst it sits on a Landcruiser Prado Chassis.

Driving the 2 vehicles, they're not that different (engine/power differences aside) the newer vehicle has a smoother ride thanks to the re-designed steering and front suspension, but the difference is truly not that great.

For me the difference between the 2nd & 3rd gen models (if both were 3.0) would not have been enough to swing me towards the extra cash required for the later, except for my desire for ABS and airbags (and the improved safety factors and crash test results of the later model too), plus the fact that I fell upon a bargain

Either way, both are great vehicles.

Good luck and happy Surfin'
    Last edited by Morr; 16 June 2004, 07:56.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

2nd v 3rd gen

Go for the 3rd gen - you know you want to!!!!
      Seriously though, my wife and I drove both the 2nd and 3rd Gen 3.0 litre Surfs and found quite a difference.
      The 3rd gen is, in our opinion, a more "rounded" design which appealed to us. The ride was much better, as was the handling. We liked the abs, airbags and other safety features, as well as the ability to use 4wd on the road. The lift up tailgate we felt was an improvement, as was the slighty bigger interior.
      Obviously all this is purely personal preference, and I am sure that owners of 2nd gen Surfs are equaly positive about their vehicles.
      Decide what best suits your needs and then go for it!
      Keith

Comment

Cheers Keith !

We had to have a test drive in a Challenger today - not as bad as a Pajero but nowhere near as good as a Surf .....

Unfortunately somebody likes the higher driving position ....

Comment

I'd get the challenger if I was you. No one will mess with you on the road especially if your budget stretches to a challenger2. I think fuel consumption may be a bit on the heavy side though.

Comment

Originally posted by Leodis
            I'd get the challenger if I was you. No one will mess with you on the road especially if your budget stretches to a challenger2. I think fuel consumption may be a bit on the heavy side though.

At least you can ride over or shoot them out the way also
            Gaz

Comment

Is the MISSISSIPPI CHALLENGER available as an import ?????
              (\__/)
              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
              (")_(")

Comment

Phew !

The pressure's off - it looks like we've found it - 96, 3rd Gen Intercooler, 65k miles, champagne silver, all the wizzy bits and at such a ridiculous price that we can't ignore it !

Some days you just get lucky .........

We had to have a test drive in a Challenger today - not as bad as a Pajero but nowhere near as good as a Surf .....

Unfortunately somebody likes the higher driving position ....

Comment

Phew !

The pressure's off - it looks like we've found it - 96, 3rd Gen Intercooler, 65k miles, champagne silver, all the wizzy bits and at such a ridiculous price that we can't ignore it !

Some days you just get lucky .........
                  You lucky bugger....I must have walked round that doggy do do's

Comment

Originally posted by Leodis

no no not the
                    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

1995/1996 Question

Hi folks

I have seen several examples similar to the attached.

Generally speaking, the forum view is that the 3rd Gen started life in 1996. So this model, which the dealer says is a 1995 N, does not look like the other 2nd Gens I have seen.

So is it actually a 3rd gen?

Or is it a 'face-lifted' 2nd gen?

Thanks - Jimbob
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jimbob_steele
                        Hi folks

I have seen several examples similar to the attached.

Generally speaking, the forum view is that the 3rd Gen started life in 1996. So this model, which the dealer says is a 1995 N, does not look like the other 2nd Gens I have seen.

So is it actually a 3rd gen?

Or is it a 'face-lifted' 2nd gen?

Thanks - Jimbob
                        It's a 3rd Gen. You can tell by a few things but the front bullbar (bumper protector) is a 3rd Gen one, it has side mouldings which are very rare and non standard on 2nd gens and the rear window is different on a 3rd gen plus the tailgate is a lif up one.

3rd Gens started in late 95 (N plate in the UK) and were basically what would be called in the US a 96 model year. US model years go from the middle of the preceding year through to the middle of the actual year so 96 model year goes from mid 95 to mid 96.

Cheers

Comment

Call me Mr Worry

Thanks for that Andy.

The vehicle in question does have the lift up tailgate. And the spare tyre is mounted under the boot, not on the door.

So, I can be sure this is 3rd Gen.

(I don't want to be suckered into a 2nd Gen!!)

Comment

Originally posted by jimbob_steele
                            Thanks for that Andy.

The vehicle in question does have the lift up tailgate. And the spare tyre is mounted under the boot, not on the door.

So, I can be sure this is 3rd Gen.

(I don't want to be suckered into a 2nd Gen!!)
                            Yep definately a 3rd gen. No 2nd gen came with a lift up tailgate, if it did have one as a 2nd gen it would have been a supremely complex custom job.

Rear mounted spare is standard on SSRG and an option on SSRX although no doubt an undeslung spare could probably be an option on the SSRG as well.

Cheers

Comment

Not again !!!!

Sorry - the Challenger is a complete non-starter for the following reasons:

Fuel economy (the complete lack of)
                              Spares costs (Have you seen the MoD's figures ?)
                              MTBF - Challenger 2 is more reliable than Challenger but ....
                              Expertise - I trained on Chieftain 27 years ago, it's totally different !
                              Parking - alright I can park anywhere but I like my neighbours
                              I can go shopping on my own in the Surf - the Chally will need a commander to comply with the law

And most importantly - the Home Office stole my pistols a few years ago - there's no way they're gonna let me have ammo for a Chally 2 !

Oh yeah - you can't drop the rear window on a Chally 2 either !

Comment

Working...
                              X