Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lubrication to window seals

Hi all.

I've just been going round steam cleaning the rubbers and seals, removing all the bogeys and mould and all looking nice! THen I tried raising and lowering the rear window. Now it won't raise right up ..... so, I ended up spraying lubricant on the rubbers! Even with engine running, window refused to park till I'd lubricated the all the window seals and now of course everything is smeared!

So, what type of lubricant is best for general rubber seal purposes? Anyone use anything specific?

I'm now going to go and see if I can find how to remove panels to rear window so I can check to make sure window operating mechanism is ok ......... .... .....

Washing your truck is asking for problems.

Just say NO!
    Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Would have thought silicone thats what i use on mine but you will not doubt get other replies when asking about lube on this forum
      The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Originally posted by Pelicanbill View Post
        Hi all.

I've just been going round steam cleaning the rubbers and seals, removing all the bogeys and mould and all looking nice! THen I tried raising and lowering the rear window. Now it won't raise right up ..... so, I ended up spraying lubricant on the rubbers! Even with engine running, window refused to park till I'd lubricated the all the window seals and now of course everything is smeared!

So, what type of lubricant is best for general rubber seal purposes? Anyone use anything specific?

I'm now going to go and see if I can find how to remove panels to rear window so I can check to make sure window operating mechanism is ok ......... .... .....

I had the same prob but with all five windows on my truck, its best not to use an oil based lube, such as wd40 as this leaves a residue which becomes sticky after a while and it defeets the point of lubing the rubbers. The best and the only thing i have ever used to lube the rubber window seals with is silicon spray, this is desingend for use on rubber seals, it keaves a smooth residue which dont become sticky after a short while. Its also goos for cleaning and shining up dash boards/trims etc etc.

Just spray it on and down each rubber and work the window up and down a few times, then give it another spray, worked for me, used it on most vehicles i have owned.

You can pick a can up from your local car parts shop for abt £3.

Hope this helps mate.
        Keep On Truckin!

Comment

I use this...
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the ideas.....

I used some silicon lubricant but got slightly concerned when it seemed to be sticky so I rubbed it back and gave it a seriously good spray coat of pledge - worked a dream Accept, that is, it only sort of works .... the darndest thing is the window was working better before I decided to clean it .... I know, I know, I should have left well alone but that luxury long past.

Now, having looked at the rubber, what happens is that as soon as the window comes down, the rubber flaps down and as the window starts to raise the rubber on the left starts to curl and some of it stays down (so a profile section would look a bit like the letter 'h') while the rest remains in the correct position - a 'T'; at least, I assume that's how it's meant to be. As the window gradually ascends, the friction increases. The window is closing but it does seem a bit of a struggle. Whether this is all down to the seals or is in part an indication that the whole lot needs an overhaul I have yet to ascertain. I might add, I'm running the engine during all of this and the dial is pointing in the right segment.

Tomorrow, I'll give it another go and see what happens ....

Comment

I suspect the glass is rough and needs a polish. T-cut works well.

Comment

Pledge and silicon spray are exactly the same thing, bar some smelly stuff gor the pledge. Try the silicon spray again, the stickiness is not really anything to worry about.
                Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Working...
                X