Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• peer to peer file sharing in the UK now illegal

ref: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/820985-i...egal-in-the-uk

programs like kazaa, bear share etc are now illegal to use. I dont know how far this stretches, what action can be taken etc

If anyone is using any type of file sharing software I suggest you use encryption if it supports it.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

thats good info dude nice 1
    am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

You can share files with Windows messenger. Is this now illegal?

Comment

Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
        You can share files with Windows messenger. Is this now illegal?
        Thats the thing, I reckon it is. I would like to see the exact wording to decipher exactly what is and isn't illegal.

Another point is, if the government now enforce monitoring by the ISPs and also website or route blocking or even port blocking such as a firewall does then this will most likely add significant costs to the consumer for the upkeep and admin of these laborious tasks.

I'm sure there is already a law somewhere that states nobody should be restricted from viewing any publicly available content. Can't seem to find it though.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

The way I understand it, its only illegal to share copyrighted files(which is illegal any way). The bill seems to make it easier to catch and charge people for it. Of course in typical heavy handed govenment style the people that will get punished will be the isp address holders with no investigation into who was actually doing the illegal stuff so that means if someone hacked into your wireless home network and downloaded things you would be the one who gets punished. This means things like wifi hot spots will possibly close to protect themselves. It is also supposed to be a 3 strikes system 2 warnings and then punishment.

Just the way I understand it there was a really good blog out there that explained it very well I just cant find the link.

Regards

Ollie
          If in doubt, get a bigger hammer.

Comment

If you find it let me know.
            Wireless security is a big issue. Anyone that wants to get in can easily find the tool to do this online. I have this tool sitting on a cd on my desk now. Even WPA can be broke (which is what I run at home) without too much trouble.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Pay for it ya bluddie cheapskate!

Keep those gangstas rollin' on their 24"s

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                If you find it let me know.
                Wireless security is a big issue. Anyone that wants to get in can easily find the tool to do this online. I have this tool sitting on a cd on my desk now. Even WPA can be broke (which is what I run at home) without too much trouble.
                Wireless security is a breeze! Use WPA2, MAC filtering, change the default SSID and disable SSID broadcasting. Job done.
                Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/pda/...de-45-measures

This isnt the one I read still cant find it. Hope this link helps clear a few things up.

Regards

Ollie
                  If in doubt, get a bigger hammer.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                    Wireless security is a breeze! Use WPA2, MAC filtering, change the default SSID and disable SSID broadcasting. Job done.
                    I don't have a default SSID with Cisco equipment. By default the radios are off. Not everything supports WPA2 as it requires hardware to support it because of the AES encryption standard. WPA uses the same RC4 encryption WEP does / did so a simple software upgrade was usually all that was required.
                    I suppose I should make the time to configure WPA2. The equipment I use is fairly new so should work.

By the way, disabling SSID broadcasting provides no real gains in security. If anything it's more of an inconvenience.
                    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                      I don't have a default SSID with Cisco equipment. By default the radios are off. Not everything supports WPA2 as it requires hardware to support it because of the AES encryption standard. WPA uses the same RC4 encryption WEP does / did so a simple software upgrade was usually all that was required.
                      I suppose I should make the time to configure WPA2. The equipment I use is fairly new so should work.

By the way, disabling SSID broadcasting provides no real gains in security. If anything it's more of an inconvenience.
                      Black
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Black
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VqY6hLosCo
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                        X