Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Size Equivalent

Hi there

I need 4 new tyres, the old ones are currently BFG All Terrain 31x10.5x15. I am told that the nearest equiv is 265/70/15. According to 1010tires.com tyre size calculator the metric tyre is 4.43% smaller than the imperial. Does anyone know how this will affect fuel consumption, already heavy with the 3.0litre. Is is worth trying for a tyre that is a little bit bigger than the originals. I am trying to improve fuel consumption. Any thoughts?

Best regards

Richard

If you're trying to improve fuel consumption the thinner the tyre the better - reduced friction against the road because of the smaller contact patch. Makes stopping slightly more difficult though...!

From what I've gathered reading this hallowed forum you'll get better economy if you use a road tyre (rather than all terrain or mud tyres).

I can't imagine these would make a huge difference though. If you want economy the Surf is the wrong vehicle to own!!

Your best bet is to buy your fuel at Tesco instead of Texaco (or run on WVO/SVO)

Comment

Stick with the BFG's. Excellent tyre and will last forever and to be honest the size is just right,

Cheers, Nick
      "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Put nitrogen in and inflate to 200 psi, that will help with fuel consumption.

(I'm joking)
        Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Hmm I'm not sure I'm any nearer.

I do not expect good fuel economy from the Surf but I'm sure anyone who owns one would be happy if they could improve their consumption, even a little. A narrower tyre is not an option for me.

The size may be just right but it is increasingly difficult to get the 31x10.5x15 tyres here where I live and a metric equivalent seems to be the only sensible solution. I could get them on-line but they still need to be fitted by the local tyre emporium and they will of course charge for the service, this makes buying on line a very expensive option for me.

So to recap would a slightly bigger tyre, hence reduced engine revs for a given speed increase or decrease my mpg given that lock up would not take place until a slightly higher speed than 52 mph and so would take place slightly less often with the bigger tyre. Any ideas?

Regards Richard

PS the Nitrogen is on order

Comment

Originally posted by Richardireland View Post
            PS the Nitrogen is on order
            Helium works better and you can sniff the left overs to make your voice sound funny!

Comment

Working...
            X