Fat tyres?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat tyres?

Just fitted 265's to replace my 235's. Some odd experiences- keep wheel spinning out of junctions and when sharp braking get a serious starsky and hutch lock up with hollywood sound effect squel. MPG down a bit, and the speedo feels wrong.

Dear doctor, is this normal???

What tyre pressures are you running? 28-33 psi seems about the norm. Sounds like you could be over inflated.
    Mike G

Comment

I dunno, are your 265's second hand, what thread is left, what are they offroad or road tyres, sounds like you've sold threaded 235's and bought slick 265's. MPG and speedo will be different, its all relative you know . Maybe you can regear your right foot too !

Comment

Yeh, more info could be useful.
        235's were brand new general grabber AP.
        265's are well treaded (10mm or so) Yokohama Guardex RV. They do look more road biased tyres.

I presume the mpg will be lower.
        But will the tyre width affect the speedo reading? I have read somewhere that it will, I think.

Still wicked if slightly scary sound effect!
        cheers
        Ronnie

Comment

Going from 235's to 265's is going to give you approx 1.5" larger overall diameter.

This will affect your acceleration, speedo and your mpg, dont know why your getting all the noises tho

Comment

Originally posted by whitespider
            Yeh, more info could be useful.
            235's were brand new general grabber AP.
            265's are well treaded (10mm or so) Yokohama Guardex RV. They do look more road biased tyres.

I presume the mpg will be lower.
            But will the tyre width affect the speedo reading? I have read somewhere that it will, I think.

Still wicked if slightly scary sound effect!
            cheers
            Ronnie
            They may take a little time to break in. wheel spin could just be the new (possably harder) rubber.
            being a good bit wider will also aid this cos the ground pressure will be lower.
            speedo should not read any different unless the tyres are taller, width of the tyre makes no difference to the gearing.
            mudnstuff.me.uk

Comment

Got me here under false pretences. I was expecting big and all i got was 265's. pHOOEY!
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
              [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

My tires squeal when pulling out of junctions, just thought is was normal or the tracking needs seing to....
                Johnny

Comment

Originally posted by Greebo
                  They may take a little time to break in. wheel spin could just be the new (possably harder) rubber.
                  being a good bit wider will also aid this cos the ground pressure will be lower.
                  speedo should not read any different unless the tyres are taller, width of the tyre makes no difference to the gearing.
                  Thats not quite true, the width of the tyre does change the overall height - a 235/70x15 will be a shorter tyre than a 265/70x15, the 70 is the aspect ratio in other words a 70 tyre has a sidewall height which is 70% of the tyre width. Technically a 265/70x15 is classed as a low profile tyre as a "normal" tyre such as a 215x15 has a profile of 80% or 82% and anything below that is classed as low profile.

I fit tyres all day long (yawn) and i put a pair of Bridgestone 689`s on the front of my Surf on Friday and i`ve yet to have a driver complain about noisey tyres, the only possible explination i can think of is that the tracking is quite far out - the old tyres scrub the edges off and offer little restistance againt the front wheels trying to go in different directions where as new or hardly worn ones want to go in a straightline and give off a squeel.

What sort of condition were the old tyres? were they worn at the edges or was the wear nice and even and do the 265`s you put on have nice even wear too?
                  Last edited by mart 870; 15 June 2004, 19:29.
                  Cheers

Mart 870

Racing for Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by whitespider
                    Just fitted 265's to replace my 235's. Some odd experiences- keep wheel spinning out of junctions and when sharp braking get a serious starsky and hutch lock up with hollywood sound effect squel. MPG down a bit, and the speedo feels wrong.

Dear doctor, is this normal???
                    sounds like poor tyres, they must have a hard compound to lock so easily,

using motocross tyre analagies, the hard tyres are great for rocky stony ground & last for ages, but frighteningly bad on tarmac, (loosing rear and dislocating shoulderly bad) the soft compound tyres are superb on tarmac but last about 2hrs on rocky ground, so thats my theory, probably rubbish, but hey.
                    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

I thought only american tyres squeeled, even on the dirt if the dukes of hazard was anything to go by
                      You Know the rules There are no rules

Comment

Originally posted by Journeyer10
                        I thought only american tyres squeeled, even on the dirt if the dukes of hazard was anything to go by
                        And they squeel on snow too! I wouldn't buy an American car because they burst into flames every time they crash. God bless Hollywood and sorry for hijacking the thread.

P.S. My Bridgestone dealers squealed like pigs when I was running them at 28PSI. I increased the pressure to 33PSI and they are much quieter and they are not wearing on the edges now. I miss the, "admiring looks," from the Met plod as I negotiate the Aldwych junction at a mere 25-30MPH and sound like the soundtrack from Bullet.
                        It's only a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                        X