yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are all brake calipers universal for each generation of surf??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all brake calipers universal for each generation of surf??

I have discovered a locked piston on my surf and what I would like to know, before I post in the parts wanted section, is will any caliper from the same generation of surfs fit my 1994 V6??
    thanks!

Yeah, they're the same as the 2.4 and 3.0 diesel, 2nd generation Surfs/4runners.

The sticking pistons can be cleaned and re-used by the way, it's only a ring of surface rust that prevents them from retracting.

Comment

I thought you could but I cannot work out how to get it out as it wont move. I tried starting the engine and breaking with no pad on the sticky piston hoping to pop it out but no effect.

Comment

Originally posted by bboy02 View Post
        I thought you could but I cannot work out how to get it out as it wont move. I tried starting the engine and breaking with no pad on the sticky piston hoping to pop it out but no effect.
        Oh you're gonna have fun.

You need to stop the other pistons coming out, possibly piece of wood between them, something that won't damage the pistons. And then pump the brake pedal until it moves (much easier said then done). Get some brake cleaner (not WD40 as it will ruin the seals, unless of course you are replacing the seals) and give it a damn good spray, and if possible give it a tug if you can get hold the piston,or clougt the back of the caliper with a rubber mallet whilst someone is pumping the pedal.

Good luck.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          Oh you're gonna have fun.

You need to stop the other pistons coming out, possibly piece of wood between them, something that won't damage the pistons. And then pump the brake pedal until it moves (much easier said then done). Get some brake cleaner (not WD40 as it will ruin the seals, unless of course you are replacing the seals) and give it a damn good spray, and if possible give it a tug if you can get hold the piston,or clougt the back of the caliper with a rubber mallet whilst someone is pumping the pedal.

Good luck.
          And don't forget the copper grease afterwards... works a treat on motorcycle brakes/pistons/calipers (which are admittedly more exposed than car brakes).

Comment

Ok, i will have another crack at getting it out tomorrow. I assume I can just use the new pads to wedge the working pistons in as the caliper is still on the disc. Which brings me to my next question. Do I need to remove the caliper to get the piston out or will it squeeze out past the disc?

Comment

Ok, i will have another crack at getting it out tomorrow. I assume I can just use the new pads to wedge the working pistons in as the caliper is still on the disc. Which brings me to my next question. Do I need to remove the caliper to get the piston out or will it squeeze out past the disc?
              Good practice (and easiness) decrees that the caliper should be removed if you're taking the piston right out. If you're only going to clean it up once you get it moving, there's no need to take the piston out at all.
              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Not to throw a spanner into what look like such smooth running 'works' but aren't the pre-facelift (pre 08-1991) calipers and discs different?

Hence why Roughtrax sell 2 different sets?

Thanks,

Ray
                I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

After taking the advice you guys gave me, I have spent the last couple hours smashing the crap out of my sticky brake piston and amazingly (for me) managed to free it up. Broke all manner of tools trying to get the f***er to move but eventually a brick bolster and a mallet provided the solution. Might need to sort out replacing the seal at some point as it kinda took a bit of a battering in the process!
                  Thank you all for your input.

Comment

Might need to sort out replacing the seal at some point as it kinda took a bit of a battering in the process!
                    Thank you all for your input.
                    Change it now.
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by lord_flashart View Post
                      Not to throw a spanner into what look like such smooth running 'works' but aren't the pre-facelift (pre 08-1991) calipers and discs different?
                      Hence why Roughtrax sell 2 different sets?
                      Thanks,Ray
                      Yup.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                        Change it now.
                        hmmmm, cant see them on roughtrax or milner.....any ideas where to get one from??

Comment

hmmmm, cant see them on roughtrax or milner.....any ideas where to get one from??
                          Hold on I need to track my posts, there is a company that supplies all the bits you need called brakes international, somewhere on this forum I have listed their details.
                          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Repair kits are still available. I rebuilt mine a couple of months back, and even replace two of the pistons that had warped slightly.

Found the reciept.

Brakes International, in Rochdale, Phome 01706 666 999.

The repair kit listed on their system for my truck didn't fit, so it's an idea to measure the piston diameter before you phone. Mine were 45mm, and the part number (that fitted) was BCK4522, I spoke to Jason throughout and he proved customer service still exists.

Hope this helps.
                            Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

legendary help, thank you very much!

Comment

Working...
                              X