yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have grinding from steering but not bump stops??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have grinding from steering but not bump stops??

Hi guys,
    When I am taking bends at speed or sharp turns a low speeds I hear a grinding noise similar to when your brake pads wear out. It is not the bump stop noise as I know what that sounds like. I read on here people talking of steering stops causing grinding noises but I assume this is another term for bump stops correct??
    I also hear the noise under heavy braking and strangely for a few seconds after the brake pedal has been released. I thought it was just pad wear at first but the fact that it happens in corners under no braking makes me wonder???
    Any ideas??
    Thanks for your help!

CV or bronze bushes maybe?? Someone with more knowledge will be along shortly.
    Neal

Comment

the bronze bush starts grinding with a clatter to it on corners then it starts to sounds like a jack hammer all the time well mine did
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

hmmm, not really that type of sound more like the noise from when your pads are worn on a car without pad wear indicators. I have never heard that squealing noise of the pad wear indicators on my surf so I assume the pads are ok?

Comment

I would check brake pads anyway , just to eliminate them as the cause . When the wheels are off you can have a good look around the hubs to see if a stone or something is rubbing on a brake disc . Also grease the steering stops while your there , even though its not the steering stops causing the noise.
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I have the same problem and I think it's the ball joints.
            It doesn't do it all the time but it's getting worse. There isn't any play but they might be a bit dry so I'll grease 'em up ASAP and see what happens.

JUDWAK- These bronze bushes you speak of; are they the main swingarm bushes?

Thanks,

Ray.
            I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

there inside the hub at the back cant see them with out taking the hud to bits there right at the back of the wheel

jack ya front wheels of the floor (flat ground like)
              try to rock the wheels side to side if theres lots of play it could be something in ya hubs thats wrong
              like bearings - bronze bush or its just come a bit lose may need greaseing
              ya not know with out looking
              i only know this coz of this site
              if i can take mine to bits and fix it any one can
              took me 2 days take a normal person 2 hours
              i'll see if i can find the link

found the link from when it happend to me
              i used the link a few times since to fix other things
              tiz good info thanks to the great guys on here
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39054
              Last edited by JUDWAK; 5 April 2010, 13:26.
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

So i popped the wheels off to discover inside pads worn to the metal and a cv boot in two pieces....here lie the problems me thinks. Whoever fitted the last set of pads helpfully left off the wear indicators too!

Comment

check the front arb braces things make sure there ok
                  SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
                  X