Kenlowe fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenlowe fan?

I may be talking out of my backside[im polite] but has anyone fitted a kenlowe in place of the viscous. Or an additional fan to aid cooling if reqd, could be operated manually via a switch on dash. If im rambling ignore me lol.

Have a look HERE as your first port of call...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Have a look HERE as your first port of call...
      Ho,ho, thats twice you ass

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        Ho,ho, thats twice you ass
        It's a trademark.
        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

electric cooling fan

Here are a few pics of my 4runner with modified fan and water pumps,showing
          the adjustable revotec thermostatic fan controler in the top hose.This can be set any where in between 70c and 120c, this also switches in the electric water pumps at the same time as the fan, even when you have switched off and left the vehicle eliminating engine heat soak.The electric water pump that you can see on the radiator botom hose is a Davis Craig EWP80,moving 80 liters per min and the small pump circulating water through the cylinder head is a Davis Craig EBP moving 15 liters per min.I have carried out quite a few conversions over the years on various 4x4s and other types of vehicles that for one reason or another in certain situations made the engine overheat.
          The fan is 16" dia.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by red barron; 16 June 2010, 17:34.

Comment

Originally posted by red barron View Post
            Here are a few pics of my 4runner with modified fan and water pumps,showing
            the adjustable revotec thermostatic fan controler in the top hose.This can be set any where in between 70c and 120c, this also switches in the electric water pumps at the same time as the fan, even when you have switched off and left the vehicle eliminating engine heat soak.The electric water pump that you can see on the radiator botom hose is a Davis Craig EWP80,moving 80 liters per min and the small pump circulating water through the cylinder head is a Davis Craig EBP moving 15 liters per min.I have carried out quite a few conversions over the years on various 4x4s and other types of vehicles.
            The fan is 16" dia.
            Interesting. Expensive to, i should think? Thanks for the pics, excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
              Interesting. Expensive to, i should think? Thanks for the pics, excellent.
              Hi, yes you were right about the expense!At 430 quid! But i actually use this vehicle for work being a plant mechanic who quite frequently has to access places off road to carryout repairs ect so it carries quite a lot of heavy items,ive had it now for over 3 years and changed the head over 2 years ago.I found three cracks in it so i decided to fit the extra mods,not that it would have needed them but purely because it has to work very hard and its done over 100,000 since then a total of 211,000 on the clock starts every time with no throttle uses little or no oil between services and has been utterly reliable.But
              you could fit an electric fan for much cheaper if you get one from a breakers yard and fit it yourself quite easily!

Comment

Elec pumps are great for circulating water for 5mins after its switched off. This cool the motor down uniformly and smoothly.

That second from last pic, is the pump rubbing on the rad?
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                  Elec pumps are great for circulating water for 5mins after its switched off. This cool the motor down uniformly and smoothly.

That second from last pic, is the pump rubbing on the rad?
                  Hi Tony, yes good observation it looks as if the lower pump has been rubbing!
                  Its actually a second hand radiator and those marks were already there before i fitted it.The main engine cooling is still circulated by the original water pump!Do you still supply snorkell kits?

Comment

Thought about just fitting the top hose stat to start with. Then i can drive a fan , warning light , or buzzer, etc. To give a safe early warning of imminent problems , what would be a good stat temp, alarm setting.

Comment

Can I just ask why you think you need to or want to do this?
                      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by red barron View Post
                        Do you still supply snorkell kits?
                        Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                          When you turn the motor off, water stops flowing, and the engine actually gets hotter for 10mins or so. Often called 'Compound heating'

If the motor is very hot from running hard, this extra temp rise could be enough to cause damage.

If you have a 2.4 (just noticed it more in them, 3.0 might do it to, most cars with a electric fan will do it if warm enough), and get it up to temp, then turn it off but leave the ignition on, after a min or so, the electric fan will come on as the engine temp rises.

This conversion circulates water after the motor is turned off, cooling the engine even though the belt drive pump has stopped.

Comment

I understand how it works Tony

I was just eluding to that if the engine really needed this functionality, surely it would have beeen installed at source.
                            Im not familiar with any car manufacturer that has this as standard.

If this is a worry, could one not just run the truck at idle with the heater on full for a few minutes before turning the engine off. I know this creates more heat.

Kinda like a turbo timer, pointless IMO
                            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                              Well, from what i have read on this forum,overheating is the main problem , when the head goes pop. The std temp gauge is pretty useless and could be replaced with an aftermarket version. If i can find a take off point thats fine. If not the new stat allows me to fit anything i want. Obviously i will maintain the coolant system,but better safe than sorry.

Comment

Working...
                              X