Front number plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front number plate

Does anyone know if you can cut down the front number plate i.e. the large unused white sections from either side of the lettering. I'm not changing the lettering or anything like that, I just need some space but don't know if the number plate itself has to be a specific length.
    Have looked on the DVLA's website but can't find the answer.
    Neal

Depends on the copper that pulls you for it! I have had cut down ones on a number of cars and was only pulled once for it. I won the argument at the time as I had not changed the letter spacing/size,

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Funny you should mention this but I saw a BMW recently with virtually all of the background colour removed from both the front and rear plates. All that was left was a thin outline around each of the letters/numbers. Don't know if it's illegal. Try it and see if you get pulled.

If all else fails, just plead ignorance....

Comment

I think there are strict rules about it and a few people I know have been pulled for that as I think the outer white and yellow spaces are used to single out the number plate more easily on the police cameras and speed guns.

I think it may be an MOT failure too?
        I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Thanks for the replies people. Lord_flashart, thought this might be the case but could'nt find the answer, cheers.
          Neal

Comment

I shaved the top and bottom edges of the front plate on my old Celica using an electric plane.
            Passed two MOTs like it and never got pulled over.

On the rear I painted two body colour strips to make the plate look thinner.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              I shaved the top and bottom edges of the front plate on my old Celica using an electric plane.
              Passed two MOTs like it and never got pulled over.

On the rear I painted two body colour strips to make the plate look thinner.
              That front plate is sort of what I'm looking to do, not the top and bottom but the sides, I have approximately 2" of plain white plate either side of the lettering and was going to cut them down to about what you have there.
              P.S. the pics of that car always makes me wish I hadn't sold mine, very nice.
              Neal

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
                That front plate is sort of what I'm looking to do, not the top and bottom but the sides, I have approximately 2" of plain white plate either side of the lettering and was going to cut them down to about what you have there.
                P.S. the pics of that car always makes me wish I hadn't sold mine, very nice.

I think as long as you leave a margin of at least 10mm of background showing around the letters/numbers so that they're still legible from a distance it'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shalershasker View Post
                  Does anyone know if you can cut down the front number plate i.e. the large unused white sections from either side of the lettering. I'm not changing the lettering or anything like that, I just need some space but don't know if the number plate itself has to be a specific length.
                  Have looked on the DVLA's website but can't find the answer.
                  The border around the letters/numbers must be at least 11mm, also the plate must still display the makers post code and the 'BS' number which is the small row of digits usualy placed on the far side at the bottom (to prevent cut plates being legal?). However,it is possible to have a plate made up that is cut down but still includes the correct minimum border and the 'BS' number - I did this and had to submit the usual documents and the maker says this is legal providing the correct number/letter spacing is still used.
                  It does look like a bit of a grey area,I did the same searches on the dvla sites and from what I have read will argue that my plate is legal if it came to it,as there is nothing stating that a plate may not be cut down.

Comment

Cutting them down and leaving that much is perfect, cheers everyone.
                    Neal

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      I think as long as you leave a margin of at least 10mm of background showing around the letters/numbers so that they're still legible from a distance it'll be fine.
                      Originally posted by Thrifty
                      hi guys Jotto certainly knows the answer to this his failed the mot on the number plate, hes got a winch on the front and little space for the number plate , i think he cut it in half??
                      It was the rear one I had problems with at short notice(mot fail) But my MOT man told me to do exactly what Bushwacker said with the 10mm margin, so long as you don't alter the spacing between the numbers/ letters you will have no problem.
                      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Originally posted by jotto View Post
                        It was the rear one I had problems with at short notice(mot fail) But my MOT man told me to do exactly what Bushwacker said with the 10mm margin, so long as you don't alter the spacing between the numbers/ letters you will have no problem.
                        Thanks mate.
                        Neal

Comment

number plate

I have a square one on my truck you can get them from some number plate suppliers, or halfrods may do them, they use them on HGV's i'll try an post a pic

Comment

I think the law referring to the size is:

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si2001/20010561.htm#10

the rules for size come under the following:

Part III para 14(9) The width of a margin between the mark and the top, bottom and lateral edges of the registration plate must be not less than that shown in line 7 of Table B in relation to the relevant character height.

Relevant character height:

14. - (1) Except in the cases mentioned in paragraphs (2) and (3), each character in a registration mark must be 79 millimetres high.

(2) In the case of a registration mark displayed on a vehicle first registered before 1st September 2001, a character in a registration mark may be 89 millimetres high unless -

(a) the vehicle was first registered on or after 1st January 1973 and the mark is displayed on a new registration plate fixed to the vehicle to replace a plate previously fixed thereto, or

(b) the vehicle is a motor cycle, motor tricycle, quadricycle, agricultural machine, works truck or road roller.

which leads to Table 3 line 7:

Character height 83mm, margin must be 13mm

charcter height 79mm, margin must be 11mm

(and with the BS number and supplier visible)

Sad ####### I know!
                            Last edited by georgecarnell; 3 April 2010, 16:46.

Comment

Working...
                            X