Tundra Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tundra Brake Pads

Hi guys, I'm doing the Tundra brake upgrade on my 3rd gen and wondered if anyone can give me the correct Toyota part number for Tundra pads to suit the calipers I bought off Fleabay? The calipers are off a 2006 4.7ltr Tundra.

Can't help with the part numbers I'm afraid but I'm liking the idea of those engines...

5.7 litre V8? Yes please!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-AaIPB8r-c

Love the bit at 2:12 "ordered a new muff" *giggle*

Comment

what is the Tundra brake upgrade?

Comment

Originally posted by Bald Eagle View Post
        Hi guys, I'm doing the Tundra brake upgrade on my 3rd gen and wondered if anyone can give me the correct Toyota part number for Tundra pads to suit the calipers I bought off Fleabay? The calipers are off a 2006 4.7ltr Tundra.
        Just look/ask for brake pads for a 2006 Toyota Tundra 4.7ltr!

If you got the calipers off e-bay, chances are you can get the pads too.

Comment

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/se...+Components%29

Hopefully that should direct you to a list of EBC brake pads for the model in question. The top one should be E35DP61657. You should be able to get them from EBC directly with that part number as well. (Although they do different pad compounds as well as the one quoted)

(If it doesn't work directly just use the "search by vehicle" option on the top left and the Toyota Tundra is in a drop down menu)

Whats this brake conversion then?

Comment

Originally posted by hiroler View Post
            what is the Tundra brake upgrade?
            Originally posted by Rustinho View Post
            Whats this brake conversion then?
            Better brakes!!... duhhhh, what else?

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
              Better brakes!!... duhhhh, what else?

Obviously!

Just wondering what the improvement was. Lighter weight? More brake pistons? Bigger discs? etc...

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll check out those leads. The conversion entails replacing the Hilux calipers and discs with Tundra ones. The Tundra's a much heavier truck with beefier discs and larger calipers with correspondingly larger pistons. There's approximately a one third increase in stopping power and due to the massive difference in disc thickness they can dissipate the braking heat much better and faster with none of the brake disc warp or brake fade that's usually associated with the Hiluxes. Stopping distances are significantly reduced too. The parts are a straight bolt on swap, but there's some grinding to be done on the dust shields and the back of the standard Hilux alloy wheels to accommodate the new calipers. I'll take pics as I go to show what's entailed and also to show the differences between the stock and replacement parts. I bought my calipers and discs second hand on ebay and including shipping from California to Dublin Ireland it came to $250, they arrived today and are in great condition. They just need cleaning and I'm going to paint the calipers with a high temperature enamel paint before putting them on. I'll also be doing a Tundra front coil spring swap which will lift my Hilux approximately 2" and level it up front to back, it'll also strengthen the front end to accept the added weight of a winch and custom bumper.
                Last edited by Bald Eagle; 30 March 2010, 15:16.

Comment

Sounds interesting would like to see how this goes
                  The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Yep, I liked it right up to the grinding bits off the wheels part!

Although I have to say I've never felt brake fade on a Surf, how common is it?
                    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Me too! That sounds great!

My brakes are actually pretty good but 2 other people I know with slightly newer surfs have hideous brakes even after flushing and parts changes.
                      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

My '96 3rd gen brakes are noticeably bad even after flushing, re-bleeding and new pads. There's a pronounced judder in the steering during hard braking which goes out of it fairly quickly once the discs cool down and the longer I have to brake for, the softer and spongier the pedal feels, hence the swap.
                        Last edited by Bald Eagle; 1 April 2010, 00:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Bald Eagle View Post
                          My'96 3rd gen brakes are noticeably bad even after flushing and re-bleeding and new pads. There's a pronounced judder in the steering after hard braking which goes out of it fairly quickly once the discs cool down and the longer I have to brake for the softer and spongier the pedal feels, hence the swap.
                          Mine is a 2nd gen but has the same feeling hence interested. not too sure about the grinding bit but hey ho
                          The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

Here's a link to the Tundra brake swap on Off_road.com. http://www.off-road.com/trucks4x4/Ed...tegoryId=45809

Comment

That sounds rather interesting ...

I don't suppose that anybody knows whether using 30mm spacers and the standard 16" 3rd gen alloys would avoid the need to grind down the inside of the wheels ?

And would there be a problem with the tyres sticking out too far ?

PS
                              I'm getting a little anal about braking - and I really must ring Doctor Anglegrinder and arrange for a brake fluid change and the fitting of the braided hoses that are collecting dust in the garage !

PPS

I'm going away for a few days so don't get irritated if I don't respond to any posts for a while !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                              X