wheel nut torque settings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wheel nut torque settings.

Hi y`all. Does anyone know the correct torque setting for wheel nuts on standard toyota alloys? Seem to remember reading somewhere on here it should be about 75n/m. This doesn`t seem much to me but at the same time i don`t want to overtighten and crack the rims. Any help much appreciated. It`s times like this you realise how useful this site is, joining was the best move i`ve made in ages, keep up the good work!

Ken.
    God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

Originally posted by whitehawk
    Hi y`all. Does anyone know the correct torque setting for wheel nuts on standard toyota alloys? Seem to remember reading somewhere on here it should be about 75n/m. This doesn`t seem much to me but at the same time i don`t want to overtighten and crack the rims. Any help much appreciated. It`s times like this you realise how useful this site is, joining was the best move i`ve made in ages, keep up the good work!

Ken.
    Did mine when I put the spacers on - I know it was 101 but cant remember for the life of me if that was n/m or lb/ft. I'll check the manual tonight if noone posts the correct answer before then!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Hi Folks a new owner of one week,love the Truck to bit's lot's of fun, after driving very carefully round town all week not to use the tubo to much then a trip down to the Gower on saturday driving 60-75ish I filled up in swansea 45 liters 308 miles equates to 34.2 mpg ! I find this amazing to say the least, on the way back on the M4 I had some very heavy vibration on the stearing pulled over thinking I had a flat trye and saw to my horror two sheared wheel studs and a wheel nut missing ! I was recoverd back.
      I spoke to the dealer and it is being picked up, when I bought the surf they changed the wheels for some 16 inch and I don't know if they over tightend the wheel nuts or didn't do them up tight enough ! but a lesson learned.
      the truck is a 91 surf with 4 runner on the side 90,000 miles and a 2 inch lift on the suspension. I want my toy back

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
        Did mine when I put the spacers on - I know it was 101 but cant remember for the life of me if that was n/m or lb/ft. I'll check the manual tonight if noone posts the correct answer before then!!

Thx linda. Love the dogs by the way. Since i packed up truck driving, my wife and i do pet and house sitting for folks while they are away on holiday. We lost our boxer dog a couple of years ago with cancer, haven`t replaced her yet due to work commitments but it`s nice to be able to enjoy other people`s dogs. We have just finished a job with two dogs just like the ones in your avatar, it was a real pleasure to take them out, they enjoyed it so much.

Cheers, Ken.

Comment

Originally posted by whitehawk
          Thx linda. Love the dogs by the way. Since i packed up truck driving, my wife and i do pet and house sitting for folks while they are away on holiday. We lost our boxer dog a couple of years ago with cancer, haven`t replaced her yet due to work commitments but it`s nice to be able to enjoy other people`s dogs. We have just finished a job with two dogs just like the ones in your avatar, it was a real pleasure to take them out, they enjoyed it so much.

Cheers, Ken.
          Ken - thanks for the compliment - they are lovely girls and very well behaved too!! We wouldnt be without them!!

I forgot to look up the settings for you last night but have left myself a reminder to do it tonight!!!

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Regarding torque settings for alloy wheels; how many people here actually use a torque wrench to get them to exactly the right torque ? I've never owned one (torque wrench , that is...), but have had the wheels off several types of vehicle (from spyder to 'tommy') without having problems (hundreds of times). I just tighten them in a diagonal pattern until they are nice and snug. Not as far as having to stand on a wheel wrench to get them off again. Given that i've had to stand on a wheel nut wrench to get them off when some numpty grease monkey has air gunned them on (generally not for alloys) i assume that it is pretty hard to overtighten, and if you do you'll generally strip the thread (though i've never managed this on a wheel nut...).

Torque settings will mean little if you haven't got the wheel seated correctly, and that is best accomplished by putting it on with care and using a diagonal pattern to tighten.

Comment

Originally posted by turbotommy
              Regarding torque settings for alloy wheels; how many people here actually use a torque wrench to get them to exactly the right torque ? I've never owned one (torque wrench , that is...), but have had the wheels off several types of vehicle (from spyder to 'tommy') without having problems (hundreds of times). I just tighten them in a diagonal pattern until they are nice and snug. Not as far as having to stand on a wheel wrench to get them off again. Given that i've had to stand on a wheel nut wrench to get them off when some numpty grease monkey has air gunned them on (generally not for alloys) i assume that it is pretty hard to overtighten, and if you do you'll generally strip the thread (though i've never managed this on a wheel nut...).

Torque settings will mean little if you haven't got the wheel seated correctly, and that is best accomplished by putting it on with care and using a diagonal pattern to tighten.
              I imagine you`ve never had wheel studs popping on you high speed on the motorway. According to a friend of mine who used to be a tyre fitter, alloys are more crucial than steelies as both the rims and studs can fracture if too tight. Must admit though, a few pounds either way probably won`t matter at all.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by turbotommy

I used a torque wrench to get the right torque settings when fitting wheel spacers. I must admit I dont usually use it when doing up the nuts on the wheels.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Ok - remembered to look!! - the torque settings are 103N-m (10.5kgf-m, 76 ft-lb)

Hope that helps

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
                    Ok - remembered to look!! - the torque settings are 103N-m (10.5kgf-m, 76 ft-lb)

Hope that helps

Many thanks Linda - can now get round to checking out my brakes.

Cheers, Ken.

Comment

Working...
                    X