question to you in the know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question to you in the know

is there any tell tail signs on a 2.4 that the head has gone or going, i ask because i am going to see one that is a non runner due to an electrical fault, so do they have mayo in the oil cap or oil floating in the header tank like other cars with HGF or is it water into the combustion chamber, therefore no tell tale signs on a non runner.

john
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

thers not really a way of telling John without taking the head off and testing it
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
      thers not really a way of telling John without taking the head off and testing it
      Mine messed about for months as you know before finally givin up the ghost. Block test past an everything.
      How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
        is there any tell tail signs on a 2.4 that the head has gone or going, i ask because i am going to see one that is a non runner due to an electrical fault, so do they have mayo in the oil cap or oil floating in the header tank like other cars with HGF or is it water into the combustion chamber, therefore no tell tale signs on a non runner.

john
        I'm off this week perhaps we could grab an1mal_69 for a reccy too? would love to help you get another surf bro.

I have no problem asking people akward questions either, if it's a walk away then it's a walk away, but we could still go mob-handed?

peace
        cal
        Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

If the rubber hoses are really crunchy feeling when you squeeze them its not a good sign, the exhaust gases cause lots of corrosion in the coolant pipes.

but apart from that its really hard to tell, they don't mix with hte oil, and most don't make much smoke.

you can start it up with the cap off, and it shouldn't immediatly blow coolant out.

if the expansion tank is full to brim before or after test drive, then its not good, try and leaving it idling as long as poss while chatting to give it a chance to pressurise and full the expansion tank.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

cheers guys, as its a non runner then its gonna have to be cheap

Comment

John how muck you looking at paying for a 2.4 as i am in the process of moting one that will be up for sale soon

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                John how muck you looking at paying for a 2.4 as i am in the process of moting one that will be up for sale soon
                looking to spend very little, im going to see a £100 one tomorrow night and theres another for £250 ish but all have engine faults, cyl head one has taken in water so guess its fubared

how much for a decent engine/head?

if i dont go for these i will pass there details on to you re. possible breakers

Comment

i've only got the one 2.4 here at the mo which is going back in for it's mot next week.A complete engine with head etc i sell for £400 plus delivery.If for any reason this one don't go through then i may well sell the engine seperate and i could deliver if it come to it or get it to Bushy's at least.
                  I won't know till next week anyway if it passes so can't make any promises at the mo
                  By all means pass over the details if they are no good to you
                  If these ones you look at are no good to you can you get me a few pics just so i can see what they are like.Cheers John

Comment

Did you get to see the truck yet? or want some company when you go ?

peace
                    cal
                    Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
                      looking to spend very little, im going to see a £100 one tomorrow night and theres another for £250 ish but all have engine faults, cyl head one has taken in water so guess its fubared

how much for a decent engine/head?

if i dont go for these i will pass there details on to you re. possible breakers

Buy them both and break them!

I just ditched my old 2.4 and got £150 for it after I'd taken all the useful bits off it!
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                      X