Railway Tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Railway Tracks

The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used? Because that's the way they built them in England, and English expatriates designed the US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?' , you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.) Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass. And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything... and CURRENT Horses Asses are controlling everything else.

Originally posted by MadcapMagician View Post
    The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches. That's an exceedingly odd number.

Why was that gauge used? Because that's the way they built them in England, and English expatriates designed the US railroads.

Why did the English build them like that? Because the first rail lines were built by the same people who built the pre-railroad tramways, and that's the gauge they used.

Why did 'they' use that gauge then? Because the people who built the tramways used the same jigs and tools that they had used for building wagons, which used that wheel spacing.

Why did the wagons have that particular odd wheel spacing? Well, if they tried to use any other spacing, the wagon wheels would break on some of the old, long distance roads in England, because that's the spacing of the wheel ruts.

So who built those old rutted roads? Imperial Rome built the first long distance roads in Europe (including England ) for their legions. Those roads have been used ever since.

And the ruts in the roads? Roman war chariots formed the initial ruts, which everyone else had to match for fear of destroying their wagon wheels. Since the chariots were made for Imperial Rome, they were all alike in the matter of wheel spacing. Therefore the United States standard railroad gauge of 4 feet, 8.5 inches is derived from the original specifications for an Imperial Roman war chariot. Bureaucracies live forever.

So the next time you are handed a specification/procedure/process and wonder 'What horse's ass came up with this?' , you may be exactly right. Imperial Roman army chariots were made just wide enough to accommodate the rear ends of two war horses. (Two horses' asses.) Now, the twist to the story:

When you see a Space Shuttle sitting on its launch pad, there are two big booster rockets attached to the sides of the main fuel tank. These are solid rocket boosters, or SRBs. The SRBs are made by Thiokol at their factory in Utah. The engineers who designed the SRBs would have preferred to make them a bit fatter, but the SRBs had to be shipped by train from the factory to the launch site. The railroad line from the factory happens to run through a tunnel in the mountains, and the SRBs had to fit through that tunnel. The tunnel is slightly wider than the railroad track, and the railroad track, as you now know, is about as wide as two horses' behinds.

So, a major Space Shuttle design feature of what is arguably the world's most advanced transportation system was determined over two thousand years ago by the width of a horse's ass. And you thought being a horse's ass wasn't important? Ancient horse's asses control almost everything... and CURRENT Horses Asses are controlling everything else.
    wot

Comment

do you know the relation between all this excellent info and the length of a marathon?
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Originally posted by logey79 View Post
        do you know the relation between all this excellent info and the length of a marathon?
        Is that a jumbo marathon or a standard one or a twin pack...
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I can't believe there's any connection between the length of a marathon and that load of ballcocks !

Snopes

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I for one am waiting to read your explanation of the marathon logey79.
            How about it?

Comment

I'm waiting too - I could do with a laugh at the moment !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by MadcapMagician View Post
                The US standard railroad gauge (distance between the rails) is 4 feet, 8.5 inches.
                Just as well they didn't use the dimensions of the 'biga' racing chariot then. We would have very small trains indeed as the wheel track on those chariots, was no more than 3 feet!
                Not that any of the info given in this thread is true anyway. It was a Scot that started it all.
                Last edited by TOYOTATONY; 20 March 2010, 20:10.

Comment

Reading that was like James Burkes "connections" enjoyed it

peace
                  cal
                  Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                    Is that a jumbo marathon or a standard one or a twin pack...
                    showing your age rich!

Comment

fascinating! is that really true? on the trans-siberian express i think they have to stop at some point to change the track of the carridges as its a different guage- whats the story there?!

Comment

sorry to disappoint anyone who was waiting for anything remotely odd, or a substance induced explaination from that bloke who keeps using my account.

basically, the lenght of a marathon has routes set in ancient greek times.

the way this article claimed modern railroad width had links to ancient romans.

not just a load of bollox - but a load of old bollox. thats the relation.

Comment

IKBs idea of 7' 01/4" was much better...
                          What have I told you about thinking Erroll

Comment

sorry to disappoint anyone who was waiting for anything remotely odd, or a substance induced explaination from that bloke who keeps using my account.

basically, the lenght of a marathon has routes set in ancient greek times.

the way this article claimed modern railroad width had links to ancient romans.

not just a load of bollox - but a load of old bollox. thats the relation.
                            Marathon first run in Olympics in 1896.
                            It commemorates a man called Phiddipides of the Athenian Army, who ran from Marathon to Athens, some 42kms (26.2mls) to get help. He also ran back again to give the answer. There is an urban myth that says he first ran to get the Spartans which is a whole lot further, 250kms in 2 days in fact, but would likely have killed him if the tale were to be believed. Some say he did & it did kill him! Who knows?

I'm sure some of you at least, must know this. It's an interesting fact for those that don't. This tale isn't "bollox", apparently, but who knows this for sure either?

Happy with that Predictable Bob?

Comment

Working...
                            X