4x4 Rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4x4 Rims

Since 16" rims are not included in most tyre manufacturers 95th percentile target (I don't know, I'm just making this up) I've been trying to find some fancy 15" rims to put on the Surf.

I like the look of these, they seem to have a nice bit of a dish on them: http://www.dotzalloys.com/store_main...roduct_id=3922

They say alloy, but they do look quite similar to the Toyota steel's..
    Last edited by dieselboy; 15 March 2010, 14:57.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Um, did you click on the drop down menu on the size box?

It lists 16" wheels/tyre combo.

Comment

They do 15" too, and are available in 6", 7" and 8.5" wide..
      Attached Files
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Duh!

In your first post I assumed you were having trouble finding 16" wheels/tyres so I just pointed out that on that link you posted, there's a 16" option too.

Which part am I/you not understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Duh!

In your first post I assumed you were having trouble finding 16" wheels/tyres so I just pointed out that on that link you posted, there's a 16" option too.

Which part am I/you not understanding?
          Ah, my mistunderstanding then! Apologies! I recall someone saying a while ago that if you want decent tyres for off road then you wont have much choice with a 16" rim. Now, I'm spending some money on the truck I'm just trying to work things out and find out whats what. I think I'm getting there with some mickey taking along the way
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

They look like steel wheels and the price would suggest that is the case, it only mentions alloys as part of the brand name.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo61 View Post
              They look like steel wheels and the price would suggest that is the case, it only mentions alloys as part of the brand name.
              I've been thinking this all day.. I bet the paint would chip off at the first sight of dry mud too!
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

the steel ones do rust a bit. but they have been ok for the money

Comment

Steel wheels are nice and cheap, but they are frigging heavy compared to alloys, add the weight of a big tyre and it comes to sustantial weight.

Unsprung weight is bad for handling, and MPG also takes a hit turning heavy wheels

I'd only get steels for thier price, used alloys if you can get the right size are better option if new is out the question.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post

Unsprung weight is bad for handling
                    Even if it's the bit touching the floor?

Comment

lol, thats the point, the bit touching the road is the bit thats going to most effected by potholes and other irregularities, and centrifugal forces from spinning. A heavy wheel is much harder to control and keep stable than a lighter wheel.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

This is a difficult decision! I've seen some nice deep dish steel wheels on ebay which are not too expensive. They are the type I like too. If I could get alloys then it would be in the style of those deep dish steels.

The problem is, if I search for alloys all I get is boy racer type multi spoke alloys. These are no good!

I also assume that even though the steels rust, the alloys (especially the chrome ones) will perish / tarnish just like my 3rd gen Surf alloys have done..

Fuel economy isn't a great problem although I don't want to turn the truck in to something unusable - even though it's only used at weekends. During the week I use public transport, and get shouted at by people on Cycles for crossing the road when they ride through red lights!
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                        X