Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help needed on purchase of 89 2.4 surf

1989 TOYOTA HILUX Surf SSR Limited TD
    2.4 TD , dual air con , e/w , e/s/r , e/w , dark green , T & T , cd radio , cat1 alarm , rsb , rww . 80000 miles. £2950.

This is the surf im looking at, any help greatly appreciated, price is ono, can i do better?

price is around the mark, take it for a good run. Is it a fresh import or been over here for a while.

Marky what is that post all about???????????????????
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

If it looks okey and the present owner will let you have the cooling system pressure tested you should buy it at that price. The '89-'90 model Surf is slightly slower than the facelift model but its tougher and simpler.

Comment

owner has owned it for a few years, seems an honest type. Has never had a towbar fitted, which i intend to do for pulling a medium size trailer, max weight about 1.5 ton. I am having fits about this head issue,,does over heating cause this fault to materialise? If so, can you prevent it by keeping check on the temp gauge? What is this pressure testing about? Cheers for the advice folks, Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtank
          owner has owned it for a few years, seems an honest type. Has never had a towbar fitted, which i intend to do for pulling a medium size trailer, max weight about 1.5 ton. I am having fits about this head issue,,does over heating cause this fault to materialise? If so, can you prevent it by keeping check on the temp gauge? What is this pressure testing about? Cheers for the advice folks, Tom.
          Pressure testing the system will identify any problems with the head/head gasket. I would think that if he has had it a few years any head issues would have been raised by know, but a pressure test before you buy will let you know for sure it hasn't got one now.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

When a diesel with a cast iron head overheats it usually cracks the cylinder head. It's not just a Surf problem and tends to happen as a diesel powered car gets older and the quality of maintainence slips a bit.

There are lots of contibuting factors
            • leaking radiators and hoses - the amount of coolant you're losing isnt very important because its the lowered boiling point that makes the engine liable to overheat
            • loss of fluid from the viscous fan - easy to check and fix
            • over advanced fuel pump timing - not so easy to spot unless you know what the car should drive like
            • unsympathetic driving technique especially with an auto gearbox

Comment

Working...
            X