Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• camber, castor, tracking for the tightar$ed

CAMBER-CASTOR-TOE-IN ALIGNMENT (DIY)
    Fitting 2” ball joint spacers pushed the camber and toe-in out of alignment so this is what I did to adjust it as best I could myself; I found the link below on Yotatec which was very helpful,
    http://www.yotatech.com/f128/drivewa...ite-up-163666/

Mostly followed the “how to” in this link, he even added some video’s of how the cam bolts work,
    With my garage being a bit restricted in height I wasn’t able to jack it up enough to get the wheels clear of the deck so made the wooden efforts in the pic, with it jacked on the axle and wheels off this allowed me to free up the cam bolts and get the control arms moving,
    First I disconnected the track rod outers so the hubs were free moving, then wound the control arms out board as far as they would go, dropped weight of the truck down on to two jacks under the lower ball joints and checked with a level on the flat wood for vertical, bubble actually showed dead centre on the level, however when I refitted the wheels and let the jacks down a level across the rim edges showed about 1” negative camber, so I jack up on the axle and also under the BJ’s and slid two slippery plates under each tyre, these allow the tyres to settle without the friction affecting the setting checks, while it was up I brought in the forward cam bolts in bringing the control arm in at the front equally on both sides, let the jacks down and checked again, doing this a couple of time I got the camber just on the negative side (by the bubble) and pinched up the front cam bolt nuts, then brought the rear cam bolts back in a quarter turn, for the rough castor setting,

With all cam nuts retightened I run a string around the rear tyres and just visually checked the front wheels were about right! (pointing ahead) as I was fitting new outer track rod ends I screwed the new ones on (after cleaning and greasing the inner rod threads and the adjuster sleeves) to each end and adjusted both ends so they dropped into the steering arms at each side, once in and the castle nuts fitted with new split pins I then taped two 2 mtr lengths of prepped 2X1” battens (made sure these were nice and straight, no warps/kinks) as you see in the pic, this allowed me to measure across back and front to align the front wheels, after some adjusting on the sleeves I got a measurement of 78 5/8” front and back on the timber,
    While this got the front wheels nice and aligned its not aligned quite right with the back axle so it’s slightly “crabbing” but not enough to notice either driving or visually, it’s just the steering wheel is slightly askew, however as my main concern was the camber and after some driving it feels a million times better than before I started, the tyres “look” more upright and the ride seems fine, castor must be ok as the steering wheel returns by itself after cornering,
    I will prob reset the tracking adhering more to Matt’s write-up or get that done at the shop, anyplace can do the tracking but try finding a shop that will do the camber (round here anyway) and then you aint sure they did it properly,
    If I’d paid money and it came back driving like it does I’d have said they did a good job and have been happy, this would have been pi$$ easy if the garage was higher,

ian

Me new buckshott mudders!!!!! (couldn't afford BFG's)
    Last edited by POPEYE; 4 March 2010, 18:46.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Great link mate! I was going to ask a question about something but i wasnt sure what it was. On one of the videos it says its a Cam Bolt.
    On mine it has been marked with a red marker and the near-side marker is slightly out of line.....which would explain why my near-side tyre is now showing signs of wear on the inside
    I will fix it myself now on the weekend. Thanks for that link mate! Saved me paying someone else to do it. Shame you didnt find that link before my tyre started to go bald
    lol

EDIT: Nice job by the way! Not much you cant do is there mate

Another edit:.....saying that, judging by that last pic, it looks like you over did it a bit?

And yet another edit!! Stop putting more pics in! i cant keep up! My second edit now refers to the second to last pic! lol

Last edited by surrey-surfer; 4 March 2010, 18:47.
    Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Originally posted by surrey-surfer View Post
      Great link mate! I was going to ask a question about something but i wasnt sure what it was. On one of the videos it says its a Cam Bolt.
      On mine it has been marked with a red marker and the near-side marker is slightly out of line.....which would explain why my near-side tyre is now showing signs of wear on the inside
      I will fix it myself now on the weekend. Thanks for that link mate! Saved me paying someone else to do it. Shame you didnt find that link before my tyre started to go bald
      lol

EDIT: Nice job by the way! Not much you cant do is there mate

Another edit:.....saying that, judging by that last pic, it looks like you over did it a bit?

I ruined a pair of very good BFG's before i got of my ar$e and sorted it

Comment

Re read....you missed another edit of mine
        Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Not trying to step on your parade or anything but i also remember see this years ago. Quite a good write up. But not as good as yours
          http://www.gaownersclub.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=95132
          Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Got that write-up courtesy of Buchan. org it's a good one but again they dont show how the cam bolts work, i hadn't the faintest idea till i watched the vid,

the second pic!! you should have seen it before, i did it

Comment

Good write up.

Also good choice in tyres, I've been runnibg those for a while now and have no complaints at all
              My other cars a QUAD
              (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
              http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Ive also been running buckshot mudders for a while now, and they've just done a 1200 mile trip round scotland in the recent snow.
                I found that..

1. They grip well enough on dry tarmac to have it land on its side if your daft enough.
                2. Wet weather performance also very good.
                3. Mud. marvelous. Cant fault.
                4. Snow. Great. Add a plough and your laughing.
                5. Hard packed icy snow. My arse nearly fell out quite a few times. truly terrifying. No grip whatsoever, the shame when I couldnt get out the carpark, and a multipla came past laughing at me.

Deffo buy them again. Just need to sort a winch to get out the carpark.

Comment

I've got the maxxis AT and find them a good tyre all round, on the hard ice/snow I just select D or R and let the tickover roll me away then once rolling I found them no worse than any other tyre for grip, I even towed a BMW up the hill outside the house on the ice with no problem so I suggest being a bit softer with the right foot. H

Comment

Had nowhere near as much trouble on ice with A/T's. Its the muds's thats causing the problems.
                    Its been said before that in theory, the large gaps in mud's self clean, leaving clean, bare rubber on the ice, and giving no grip.
                    A/T's have small gaps between the tread, which fill with snow/ice, which then grips on the ice on the road.
                    Having experienced both, I'm now pretty sure that theory's correct!

Comment

I had gripping problems in the snow till i dropped the tyre pressure to about 18-20psi, then they were fine i had BFG all round then albeit the fronts were worn right down on the outer edges,

Comment

What's happened to the photos
                        You will be pleased to know I used the forum search to find this! Nice write up.
                        I need to get mine done now the lift is done. Hope it rains wednesday as it's booked in somewhere. If it doesn't rain, there will be a lot of tyre squeel on the way there o_0
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I deleated a load from photobucket, forgot they were in some write-ups, sorry, anyway they wern't too important, all ya need is in the yotatec link,
                          if you are gonna do it your self , all i did was undo each track rod end, jack up the front on the crossmember, place two "slipperyish" plates under each front wheel, (i used some bits of lamanated chipboard, this allows the wheel/tyre to slip outward when the jacks released, instead of the tyre gripping and giveing a false reading,
                          haveing given the wishbone cam bolts a good WD40ing beforehand, loosen all 4 cams, jack up till the wheels are off the deck, take the wishbones outward as far as the cams allow, turn the forward cams on each side back the same ammount (little at a time) and pinch em all up, lower the jack and check with a piece of straight wood accross the rim and a spritlevel for the verticle, you need to keep doing this till the bubble just sits on the outboard line in the level, when both are like this you should have slightly "negatave camber"
                          (opposite to the positaqve camber caused by fitting the spacers)
                          once the levels are the same on both sides lock up both forward cams,
                          bring the rear cams inward 1/4 turn and lock em up, this should give a decent castor so when driveing round corners etc the steering comes back to central on its own if you know what i mean, no castor and the the steering will stay "turned," plus bugger the tyres if the castors too adverse,

toe-in you should do as advised in the link,
                          lot of fiddleing about but it will at least be good enough to get you to an alignment center or summat, get the camber/castor about right and its the difference between paying out £30ish for toein at the shop and pauing £100-200 from en to do the lot, camber done have to be dead verticle, most vehicles have factory negative camber when built, as long as it aint too sever and wears out the tyres it can be slightly either way, pos-neg, castor's a compromise between the need for wheels to be upright and the need to have em self center, light steering and too light and it stays turned,
                          Last edited by POPEYE; 4 July 2010, 18:00.

Comment

Working...
                          X