Alloys look corroded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alloys look corroded

Around the hub it looks like surface corrosion as is all mottled. Is there anyway that it can be re-furbished and if so what is the average cost? I don't suppose one could chrome them.

Im going to get mine powder coated & have been quoted £20/25 a wheel but bare in mind the added cost of tyres to come off & then back on again & ballanced.

Also when they get done they will be one colour & not like the original finish with the polished bits.
    Last edited by si tate; 28 February 2010, 16:53.
    If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Autoglym do some alloy wheel paint which is pretty good. One can will 'touch up' about 20 wheels or you can use it as part of a full respray with primer and laquer as a friend of mine did.

You can get it at http://www.qwikfast.co.uk/catalogue/...ml-p-5011.html for only £4.50 a can.
      I've got a plan and it's as hot as my pants!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf01 View Post
        Around the hub it looks like surface corrosion as is all mottled. Is there anyway that it can be re-furbished and if so what is the average cost? I don't suppose one could chrome them.
        The answer depands on how good you want your wheels to look.
        It also depends on how much work you are prepared to do yourself, if any!
        Refurbishing alloys yourself can be very time consuming and depending on wheel design, impossible to acheive top notch results. (Stating the obvious really.)

Whether you paint or have them powdercoated, as suggested by the other members in this thread, is perfectly fine so long as all oxidised corrosion is eradicated first. Your wheels will look awful if you don't!

Chroming is fraught with potential, if not likely, pitfalls!!!

I've had quotes for straightforward refurbishing at around £50-£60 a wheel including tyre removal & refit. This price can escalate very rapidly if you start choosing 'options'!

As an alternative, providing you want the 'mut's nuts' look, why not buy new?
        I bought a set from Roughtrax, & no, I've nothing to do with them business wise, at a little over £60 a wheel plus delivery & I am well chuffed! Got a local garage to do the tyre swopping & balancing for £10 a wheel. Plus you'd have your old set to sell on, thus reducing the cost of the new ones.

Just a thought...
        Last edited by TOYOTATONY; 28 February 2010, 20:31.

Comment

Thanks Toyotatony that sounds a feasible idea an I will investigate it but all depends on cash flow. Have to talk top the missus very nicely as last year she bought me a set of Bridgestones for the Surf.

Comment

The thing is finding nice looking off road wheels that suit the surfs. I've only really found a few american racing alloys (which you cannot get in England as my online research has found) and some on the LA supertrux website. But supertrux want silly money for alloys, you are talking between £100 and £200 per wheel. And they are not suited for off road.

The laquer has started to come off my 3rd gen alloys. If / When I find information on getting them professionally done I will get back to the forum
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

i do wheel refurbishing for a living , i work for myself in kidderminster, and i charge between £25 and £30 per wheel depending on condition , heres a few wheels ive done
              before

after

animal
              PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

i think theres a few more examples on my website, www.scuffsnscrapes.info
                PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Working...
                X