truck wont start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truck wont start

Can anyone give advice on why my truck wont start. It turns over fine fired once but now won't start. It has got an apollo immobiliser, I don't know if this will delay starting if it is repeatedly tried. It is going for a full service on Saturday but I could do with starting it first. It has always started first time every time, There is a full charge in the battery. Never owed a diesel before so I don't really know much about these being new to the surf. Please ehlp before my wife starts moaning as I have blocked her car in

Originally posted by Wardy View Post
    Can anyone give advice on why my truck wont start. It turns over fine fired once but now won't start. It has got an apollo immobiliser, I don't know if this will delay starting if it is repeatedly tried. It is going for a full service on Saturday but I could do with starting it first. It has always started first time every time, There is a full charge in the battery. Never owed a diesel before so I don't really know much about these being new to the surf. Please ehlp before my wife starts moaning as I have blocked her car in
    Given time for Glow plugs to warm up?
    My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

Yes the glow plug light went out on the dash. How long should I wait normally

Comment

Originally posted by Wardy View Post
        Yes the glow plug light went out on the dash. How long should I wait normally
        till it goes out, given the accelrator a pump or two when its starting?

did you say it actually started and then cut off once started?

Comment

It fired once but I think I stopped cranking the engine too soon. After that it wouldn't start. Not much time to look at this morning as I had to get my bike out to ride to work. 10 miles on a push bike first thing in the morning is not good!!
          Having a look when I finish work. Hopefully it will start when I get home

Comment

I would say that the glowplugs could be the cause of it.A few of us have had the same problem this year when the cold weather set in.Clean up the battery terminals and connections and all the earth leads.Takle them off and give a good clean up so theres a decent connection and change the filters.
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by che2318 View Post
              till it goes out, given the accelrator a pump or two when its starting?

did you say it actually started and then cut off once started?
              This is incorrect, the glowplug light will go out on dash but the preheat continues until a click can be heard from dash area, the 3.0 trucks have ceramic plugs so heat quicker.
              Try and cycle the plugs a couple of times before cranking.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

how fast does your click?

Comment

I have tried charghing the batteryon the passenger side. Waiting for the click and the beep. Still no joy. I am taking the battery off the drivers side to see if that will help. It is annoying as it worked fine until yesterday morning. I need to start it to get it to the garage for a full servie

Comment

From turning the key to on till the "click" is 15 seconds on mine, full turn to cranking starts it up, always.

If the battery isn't up to cranking properly at this stage I then have to remove the key and use the immobiliser again before a second attempt, which is when I add my jumper battery as I know it'll not crank till I do, though this is only when its extremely cold and usually after a day of very short runs that have drained the onboard batts. Hazo

Comment

try jump starting the truck and i'll bet it will start.
                      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I tried jumping it off my wifes Ford Focus but I have seen bigger batteries in a remote control. I am getting my mate from work to have a look. He is pretty good with cars and trucks. I will keep you posted as to what his findings are

Comment

Somebody on another site has said it could be the 80amp fuse for the glow plugs. Is this common? Has any one else had this problem? Please let me know if it is an easy job. My wife has already started to moan. She has said I am always buying CRAP. Can somebody please help just toshut her up

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzo View Post
                            From turning the key to on till the "click" is 15 seconds on mine, full turn to cranking starts it up, always.

If the battery isn't up to cranking properly at this stage I then have to remove the key and use the immobiliser again before a second attempt, which is when I add my jumper battery as I know it'll not crank till I do, though this is only when its extremely cold and usually after a day of very short runs that have drained the onboard batts. Hazo

my one clicks pretty much as soon as the light goes out.

Comment

yep,the fuse normally blows when people have been messing around with the glow plugs and refit the isolating blocks back to front,the 80 amp fuse is located under the bonnet,offside inner wing under the black plastic cover,you will see if its blown because it has a clear plastic top,to remove fuse you need to dismantle the fuse box and unbolt the fuse from underneath.dont try pulling it out from the top with a pair of pliers,it will only break off and chances are you will break the fuse holder aswell.if its not the fuse then listen to see if the glow plug relay is clicking in when you turn the ignition on,this is located on the nearside inner wing.behind the air filter housing.if its not clicking then chances are your immobiliser is playing up,also whilst your under the fuse cover check the ecu main fuses havnt blown as well.
                              Last edited by surfenstein; 3 March 2010, 14:16.
                              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X