Clear All

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
    turn a blind eye to it....

My Surf eats knuckles for breakfast!

Comment

You're probably right.
      Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I put my 2p of thoughts about this sort of thing on my blog yesterday - clicky. In short, till we start respecting lives as equal, we will never have the world's respect. While we class our soldiers (in a war zone, in a war they started) as higher than the civilians they "accidentally" kill from time to time, there's something wrong.

The rules of engagement have, thank God, changed since WW2. But if we wish others to abide by our standards, we should do the same - for example, Guantanamo Bay is the best reason ever given for why countries we are at war with should feel justified torturing captured American soldiers.
        Andy
        http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Happy to see Bradford separate from the UK - just cos its minging.

Preferably as an island around 200Nm north west of Scotland, with Passports required.
          Could we add Shannonville to it ?
          Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

I like a good war it boosts the economy....
            Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
              I like a good war it boosts the economy....
              and controls overpopulation...
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                and controls overpopulation...
                Good point another bonus!
                Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
                  I put my 2p of thoughts about this sort of thing on my blog yesterday - clicky. In short, till we start respecting lives as equal, we will never have the world's respect. While we class our soldiers (in a war zone, in a war they started) as higher than the civilians they "accidentally" kill from time to time, there's something wrong.

The rules of engagement have, thank God, changed since WW2. But if we wish others to abide by our standards, we should do the same - for example, Guantanamo Bay is the best reason ever given for why countries we are at war with should feel justified torturing captured American soldiers.
                  Slightly off the mark there methinks! You say, "While we class our soldiers (in a war zone, in a war they started) as higher than the civilians they "accidentally" kill from time to time, there's something wrong."

Our soldiers - whether you like it or not - are employed to do a job, and given the way they are supported by our leaders, they do a bl00dy good job. They go where they are told whether they believe it's right or wrong, and it's our so called leaders that make that decision! Our soldiers certainly did NOT start the war!!! Who classes our soldiers as higher than the civilians they 'accidently' kill from time to time? In a war, civilian casualties are a fact, like it or not, and the soldiers I know would be pretty p1ssed at being accused of that! Many of our young lads have seen things that most of us would never see in a lifetime - and would never want to as they are that horrific - and I bet they would never wish for that.

Not sure what you mean by the 'rules of engagement' have changed, but in my mind they have not changed in our favour. Ask yourself this, suppose you were fighting in a battle and someone had just shot your best mate and was now trying to kill you. Would you want to shoot back or not? You bet you would! However, how would you feel if you were told not to shoot back because your attacker is shooting from a pile of rubble that is classed as a religious site? Like I said, pretty p1ssed!!! Please don't assume the rules are made to be in our favour.

Finally, and I'll shut up, would you feel the same if we were being attacked and our soldiers were killing to defend us? I wouldn't and if I could pick up a gun I'd be there along side them!

Sorry for the rant - unlike me really - but this is a bit too close to home,

Cheers, Nick
                  "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Probably the crankshaft pulley de-bonding.

Back to the point, and I'll keep it short, it's exactly as Tony said - the winners get to write the history. You don't get American war criminals or, for that matter, Croatian war criminals because they won and they're hardly going to prosecute themselves.

Personally, I wouldn't drive it more than the distance to a decent garage if you can't do the work yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
                      - for example, Guantanamo Bay is the best reason ever given for why countries we are at war with should feel justified torturing captured American soldiers.
                      I'd rather be at Guantanamo Bay than any US/UK/allied soldier captured out there, if you think you'd be treated any different or better you are mistaken.
                      Its only cos western soldiers are valuable for media/hostage properties that any come back at all.

Its war, its sucks, individuals get hurt for the big picture. At least Western leaders knows they have to answer to the press/public if they get caught (vaguly), other countries arn't so lucky.

I hate argueing about wars, no one really knows whats really goes on, and especially don't believe any you read in the papers. People are trying to kill each other for political gain, nothing more, nothing less.

This isn't a proper war, allied troops are hamstrung by politics, but the other side isn't.

Its F**ked up, and is entirely predicable, but sadly unavoidable.
                      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Especially DONT work on the brakes!! You WILL crash and die!
                        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                          I'd rather be at Guantanamo Bay than any US/UK/allied soldier captured out there, if you think you'd be treated any different or better you are mistaken.
                          Its only cos western soldiers are valuable for media/hostage properties that any come back at all.

Its war, its sucks, individuals get hurt for the big picture. At least Western leaders knows they have to answer to the press/public if they get caught (vaguly), other countries arn't so lucky.

I hate argueing about wars, no one really knows whats really goes on, and especially don't believe any you read in the papers. People are trying to kill each other for political gain, nothing more, nothing less.

This isn't a proper war, allied troops are hamstrung by politics, but the other side isn't.

Its F**ked up, and is entirely predicable, but sadly unavoidable.
                          Absolutely spot on Tony,

Cheers, Nick
                          "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                            or, for that matter, Croatian war criminals because they won and they're hardly going to prosecute themselves.
                            Obviously said in jest, Google it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1441771.stm
                            Last edited by slobodan; 23 February 2010, 21:36.
                            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                              Especially DONT work on the brakes!! You WILL crash and die!
                              Brakes are fine, it's the AIR CON you have to worry about.
                              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Don't go blowing a Seal...the penguins don't like it
                                Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Working...
                                X