I think the head has gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think the head has gone

Well after several years of abuse and neglect i now think the head has gone.I have suspected it for the past several months but i can't see anywhere leaking at all and after long trips towing in have to fill the rad again.Yesterday before leaving Wales i had to put a litre or so in and then this morning i checked the levels again and had to putnearly 3 litres in.
    It only happens when towing the trailer.
    I had noticed tho over the past 3 months that it blows a big white cloud out on start up.I will get it chcked this week anyway and test it to find out for sure
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

bad luck rich,the truck has done you proud though,at least you got plenty of spare ones down there.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

I got one head which was going to be pressure tested this week to sell as it was provisionally sold subject to test.
      I will spend a couple of hundres to have it completely shimmed and all valves etc check and renewed if needed and then get it fitted
      Even if i was to break the truck it has well earned its money but i want it on the road so its gotta be sorted.Just sentimental i suppose
      I'm lucky it never went sooner tell the truth as the temps been in the red god knows how many times.Its a good workhorse
      Last edited by stormforce; 21 February 2010, 12:19.

Comment

Bad news mate, but i guess you do do a lot of milage and much of that towing, at least you have access to all the spares you need
        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Arse.
          I dusted mine about a year ago - could have done without the expense & hassle. All is good with the Roughtrax replacement so far though.
          Good luck.

Comment

I have got a head here to get tested so i'll get that sorted in the next couple of weeks so the truck will still be on the road until head swap day.

I am seriously considering getting a lancruiser soon mainly for the long distant journies i do and plus it will be better towing with aswell.
            If i get a L/c then the surf will still be put on the road and maybe kept just for a occassional runner with the full lift done that i wanted to do or i'll get the cruiser lifted and fitted with the 39's

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
              I have got a head here to get tested so i'll get that sorted in the next couple of weeks so the truck will still be on the road until head swap day.

I am seriously considering getting a lancruiser soon mainly for the long distant journies i do and plus it will be better towing with aswell.
              If i get a L/c then the surf will still be put on the road and maybe kept just for a occassional runner with the full lift done that i wanted to do or i'll get the cruiser lifted and fitted with the 39's
              OOooh i love the 80 series. Gorgeous.
              Sorry to hear the bad knews though mate.
              Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

All things concidered that truck has done you proud, I've driven old bangers for the last ten years untill I got this surf I never did much with them, I bought a vectra for £200 with 6 months tax and test on it, I just scrapped it soon as the test and tax ran out owed me nothing.

Taking far more care of the Surf though.

peace
                cal
                Bala Mud, best underseal there is, only £30 per application.

www.thecellardwellers.co.uk

Comment

I did the sniffer test today and its come back ok.I can't fathom where this water has gone.The engine is dirty and there is no signs of leaks anywhere so i'll just need to keep an eye on it for a while.
                  If anyone has any ideas please let me know.
                  The expansion bottle is being emptied aswell so the coolant is going somewhere

Comment

I did the sniffer test today and its come back ok.I can't fathom where this water has gone.The engine is dirty and there is no signs of leaks anywhere so i'll just need to keep an eye on it for a while.
                    /how are the flexi pipes under the rear heater?
                    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

if you need any parts let me know , as i know a good bloke down south that has lots .

he talks funny but he is ok

john

to add , not leaking inside the cab is it ?
                      i bust things ,, it a skill i have ,,( need help?)

Comment

Hi John.I checked the carpets and they are bone dry
                        these accents from these southerners are terrible ain't they

Comment

Hello Rich. What have you already checked? Im assuming you have checked the rad?
                          Is it overheating at all?
                          Could be the stat and the water is litterally being boiled and evaporated???
                          Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

the temp only goes up while towing the trailer with a truck on but i don't let it get into the red tho.I have to top up the coolant once i'm home tho

Comment

Do you only have to top coolant up after towing? Or are you having to do it after normal driving aswell?
                              Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X