yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine seized on a 2.4 2nd Gen Surprise, Surprise!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine seized on a 2.4 2nd Gen Surprise, Surprise!

Fellow surfers, I have been an avid surf owner for over 5 years now first surf was a 3rd gen dream which only had one minor hiccup in the four years I owned it. overheated due to cracked combustion chamber, so after I changed the head it again ran like a dream.......until I managed to drive it of a bridge after my trailer jacknifed, but thats another story.
    So after wrangling with the insurance company I managed to get a £4k payout, this was last march, and at the time there were no decent 3rd gens for sale so I found a 2nd gen 3.0Td for sale in immaculate nick for £3K (see attachment, It's got a bit of bling!!!), I should have done a bit more homework, I had never owned a 2nd gen before so I didn't notice that it was a 2.4 until i compared some engine pics on the tinternet, The log book has 3.0 TD on it, more fool me!, anyway after a month of owning the supposed 3.0 the dreaded 2.4 decided to make steam, Oh F&$@%ng Happy Days, so off came the head (which is a complete pig compared to the 3rd gen) and found a lovely big crack between pots 3 and 4.
    The top of the liner on No4 pot had about 3-4mm of errosion probably due to washing with the coolant getting in there, and the no 4 pot on the head almost completely eaten. I was a little concerned with the damage to the top of the liner, but I thought sod it and Bought a new head complete with cam, new cam belt gasket kit,head bolts etc, etc from roughtrax, fitted it and all was sweet apart from she seemed a bit lumpy for the first 30 secs on starting, so thinking the glo plugs might have been cooked I checked resistance on the circuit...all fine, so I put a new set in anyway, still lumpy.....so thinking I had messed up and put the cam belt on with a tooth mis-aligned, I took most of it apart again to check the timing....again it was fine. So nothing else i could think of, I simply lived with a lumpy start, probably a bad move.....

2 days ago,(10 months since head change) it decided to give up the ghost ......doing abouth 15 mph all dash lights on and engine stalled, oh dear!, I thought I'd try to turn the key just in case!......the starter clicked and that was it, so I am now thinking the worst, put her into neutral and towed her back up my road with the jcb. I whacked a bar and socket on the crank pulley and she aint going anywhere......
    Any thoughts??????, piston, liner and another new head??

I would rather not give her to the crap yard, But don't really want to spend the Greek deficit to get her back on the road
    Attached Files
    ..Angel..

Only just found this post tucked away else where

I think if it were me I would be inclined to break it to get some money back on it and buy another 3.0L.
    But as they say, the choice is yours.
    I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

Well the first thing i would do is get in contact with the slime ball who sold you a 2.4 posing as a 3.0lt follwed by a call to the police and see what they say. Might not fix your problem but might get that git nicked??
      I know you dont want to hear it but you really shouldve solved the sluggish start problem.
      Hope you get it sorted mate. Personally i would save her.
      Does the new head come with any warrenty from Roughtrax? Might be worth looking to. Maybe.
      Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

they all seem to start lumpy after having the head done for some reason never been able to find out why, so I think the problem that it has now is probably not connected to the head

Comment

All the way from Japan, they all end up in Cornwall.
          Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
            All the way from Japan, they all end up in Cornwall.
            hahahaha i don't know what your on about Slobbo
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

stormy would be the man to try for a short moter just swap the head onto that

Comment

Ive been reading a couple of threads on here somehwere about a V8 conversion. Food for thought?
                Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

Funny you say about short block.I have got 2 here and i am also collecting a running truck at the weekend.Its a 2.4.The whole complete engine for £500 delivered.I will check the truck out when i get it home to make sure its all ok.The other 2 short blocks are 2.4s and will be £170 delivered

Comment

well that would be the best option i would have said and just keep it going it looks too good to break and the head should be the modded one

Comment

i see what your saying cf.I have sold the in car dvd already and also possibly the full bullbar.Its got blue colour coded wheels which i've had interest in aswell so there's not a great deal left on it.
                      I am getting another 2.4 the end of march tho thats in very good condition with possible heating issues so if this engine don't sell before then ,then i will just do an engine swap and sell the Black one in April

Comment

decided to scrap it

Due to time constraints and pricing up the parts I'd need, I have decided to scrap the wagon.
                        Any one know of the best way to recover some cash, or just bite the bullet and give her to the crap yard?
                        ..Angel..

Comment

hi, and bad luck before you scrap her bear in mind pure weigh in is about £120 a ton so dont give it up for less than £240 a breaker might only offer £150 or less

Comment

If you want some prices on parts to sell give me a shout and i'll put some prices down for you.It will be the best way to get some money back if you got the room to break the truck

Comment

Working...
                            X