Buying advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying advice

As its one of the questions asked a lot thought it would be good to put a list together of what to look out for.
    Not just what to look out for but ease/remedy in fixing the problem and cost.
    E.g

Squeaking/metal noise on full lock, steering stops
    Fix: Grease the steering stops.
    Cost: Tub of grease.

Or something along those lines, so if you want to add to this thread I will copy any advice you have to a thread in the FAQ section.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Check operation on 4wd, go through all gears, select Hi and Lo options and again drive through all gears.
    If 4wd is difficult to engage/disengage the truck may need driven back and forwards slowly to allow the diffs to engage. Sometimes the ADD system can be reluctant if it hasn't been used much.
    The 4wd on dash should illuminate when the ADD has worked properly (unless the bulb in dash has gone)
    As the ADD engages 4wd you should hear/feel a slight clunk, this is normal.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

When the truck is being driven pay attention to any unusual vibrations.
      Lots of different things can cause vibration, here's some things to check if you suspect there is a problem

1.Tires, are they round? Might sound silly but larger tires especially can go'out of round'. Make sure tires are at correct pressure.
      2.Drivetrain vibration. This is where it can get more difficult to determine the problem, it may just be a worn UJ on one of the props or it could be an incorrectly balanced prop, worn steering components of front driveshafts, warped discs, worn bushes/balljoints etc.
      3.Other vibrations and knocks can be caused by engine mounts insecure, gearbox or transfer box mounts insecure.
      Alan

Comment

Make sure it's not been started prior to you getting there. A cold start and run up to temperature, checking heating etc. Make sure the coolant is a good colour no obvious signs of overflowing from the expansion bottle.
        Tailgate operation.
        Bump stops and wooly steering...has the recall been done.
        Any evidence of servicing.
        When up to temp check ATF
        if your in any doubt with regards to the cooling system, walk away.
        Bump stops and wooly steering,grease the stops , wooly steering, check ball joints, pitman arm..all reciprocal joints for wear.
        Get the price of NEW knocked off the asking price.
        ATF should be in good condition.
        If not get £50 knocked off for a change of fluid.
        Last edited by gwh200; 18 February 2010, 10:19.
        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Read the ECU error codes. <--Aide Memoir for me... Will edit later.
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

I would add a few question to ask:

Has it been used for towing? (also obvious signs like having a tow bar fitted)
            More likelihood it has overheated
            Has it been used off road? Check for scrapes to the bash plate.

When can you use 4wd?
            (i.e. if they say 'whenever you like' they will have used it on the road and probably not looked after it)

I've heard you can run these on vegetable oil/ biodiesel?
            (i.e. if they say they have, I would tend to walk away as you never know what crap they have stuck in their tank which may still be glugging around the bottom of the tank and coking the injectors)
            (Talking of which, thats just reminded me of the biodiesel cretin we had on from Croydon who ended up having a bit of a GC spas)

Comment

First of all really like the idea
              Dont know if it helps or not but i started to create a folder with quite a few of the pictoral how to's saved as .mht files which can easily be converted to word. Might save some of the problems with links
              On the attached pic is a few of the things i have been using lately but have a fair few more files knocking around.

Maybe of help?

Rob
              Attached Files
              The sh$t gets deeper ...but still swimming

Comment

You won't like this but ........

http://daemon4x4.org/tech/hiluxsurf/

All the information that codlord put together is hosted there now
                ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Koi - cracking idea!

Bio - cracking writeup!
                  'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
                    Koi - cracking idea!

Bio - cracking writeup!
                    It's not mine , along time ago a member here (CODLORD) had his own site , when he sold his surf Matt agreed to host his site and keep it available to all ......

It was so good that someone copied it and was selling it as a cd on ebay untill it was established that codlord owned the copyright ,

Just to let you all know that it still exists
                    ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Originally posted by BioHazard View Post
                      It's not mine
                      Yeah, I realise that mate. Perhaps I should have said - cracking link to Codlords write up, but it was a bit long winded.
                      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Great idea Koi although a few years too late for me .
                        1 thing i would say is to check around the top of the rad for any rusty colouring. This would indicate that it has overheated at some point and possibly presurized the system blowing coolant out the top of the rad.
                        Also before you start the truck, take the rad cap off and check the water level. (obviously only do this when the engine is cold/has'nt been started yet )
                        You should be able to see coolant. If you can see the "fins/grills" then this would either suggest the cooling system has a leak....poorly maintained or both.
                        Surfs are very reliable trucks but one cant afford to chances with the cooling systems. Like with most Jap 4x4's the alloy heads they use dont cope all that well with overheating/human neglect.
                        Windows 7 was my idea!

Comment

direct link.
                          http://daemon4x4.org/tech/hiluxsurf/info/faq.htm
                          Alan

Comment

Working...
                          X