Underslung v rear mounted spare

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
    I've seen trucks, landcruisers I think with twin wheel carriers on the back for overland trips.
    Have seen that too, very nice setup but think you'd struggle to get two side by side on a Surf - Amazons have plenty more width to play with.
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
      Have seen that too, very nice setup but think you'd struggle to get two side by side on a Surf - Amazons have plenty more width to play with.
      I'm modding a carrier for someone to double up spares on the back for a Morroco trip. Think it will work with out being to silly, espcially for overland trips rather than 'Offroading'
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I'd stick spare wheels on the roof and get jerrycan holders for the rear (for the proper expedition look )
        Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

4 can mount here.

http://www.aroundtheworld1999.com/AT...rryCarrier.jpg
          Alan

Comment

Heres a twin wheel carrier with one wheel mounted, doesn't look like he would get another tire that size mounted beside that one.
            http://www.rascals.co.za/images/mytr...in_carrier.jpg
            Alan

Comment

You could reinforce bonnet and stick it on there.

http://www.lizzybus.com/sitebuilderc...s/DSC00017.JPG
              Alan

Comment

I can just see a 33x12.50x 15 stuck on the bonnet and the cops going for those others covering the number plate, ok in africa but commersial road,ports, forget it
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  I can just see a 33x12.50x 15 stuck on the bonnet and the cops going for those others covering the number plate, ok in africa but commersial road,ports, forget it
                  How do you know he has 33's?
                  You could mount the number plate on a lit bracket on the outside of one on the spares.
                  Alan

Comment

It's only 31s we've got. But still, the one in the link not only had the number plate but the lights covered too - you'd need to get two side by side within the lights, which would be pushing it on a Surf.

Thought about the bonnet, but any decent size wheel there would be pushing it - it works well for landies cos they have thinner wheels (generally) as they're lighter (generally). So that leaves back of the truck, underslung and the roof for locations for 2 wheels and half a dozen jerry cans. But there's already a carrying mechanism for wheels on the rear and underslung, and full jerry cans are worth a lot more than a spare wheel so putting them on the roof (or even inside) seems to make more sense.

Next time we have the tent on the roof, we'll see how much space there is in front of it to fab up a lockable carrier there for a few cans.
                    Andy
                    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

I hope your ARB is still fitted ...

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                        How do you know he has 33's?
                        i Didn't say he had but even 31"'s or standard surf wheels will block the forward vision too much, as he said landy standard wheels are much thinner and the bonnets made for it, anyway i thought you were jokeing!!
                        decent roof rack's the best bet for carring multiple spares,

You could mount the number plate on a lit bracket on the outside of one on the spares.
                        yup ya could, another one i saw once was two spares fitted together on the same mounting plate, looked ok , just sticks out further at the back and i guess youd need to strengthen the swing out carrier,
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob View Post

I hope your ARB is still fitted ...

Yer late, page 1.
                          Alan

Comment

Bugger !

But are you sure I'm not just early for the next thread ?

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                            X